Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Free-Westinghouse LZ

 

Sometimes having a good eye really pays off.  Or perhaps I was simply paying attention.  The above machine is one I spotted in a craigslist ad about 8 months ago.  Although the dark picture showed the machine to be extremely dirty as well as distant, I thought the outline of the machine was interesting and the cabinet looked good.  For several months this ad reappeared again and again.  The price dropped once, down to $60 or best offer.  I kept wondering about the machine but never contacted the seller.  

Finally, curiosity got the better of me and I called the seller.  (He only accepted calls on his listings.  Sellers take note: by forbidding e-mails, you may be greatly narrowing your pool of potential buyers.  In this instance it was, of course, my gain.)  We met at a small, filthy warehouse about 30 minutes north of my home into which was crammed every imaginable knick-knack, all kinds of furniture from cheap and tacky to middle brow reproduction, etc.  After some confused digging, he finally found a dusty, dirty but very nice sewing table under a pile of crap.  

The machine was covered in a grime unlike anything else I've had to deal with.  It didn't take much to rub a bit off and see that the machine was in excellent condition and is a very beautiful design.  In fact, the dirt on this machine probably protected the finish.  I'd seen the Free-Westinghouse label many times but I had never seen this model until then.  The desk-type table's drawers were stuffed with attachments, the sales receipt, other small items, but no manual.  He offered it to me for $50 and I accepted.  So pleased that he made a sale, he turned and spied a Kenmore machine nearby.  He explained his need to be rid of it and offered it for $10.  I accepted, gladly.  We loaded them into my car (I'm always grateful for sellers who offer their assistance, even if I'm more than able to handle the load myself) and I excitedly drove home.

The machine is a Free-Westinghouse LZ, a zig-zag machine made in 1955 in what used to be West Germany.  It is actually a re-badged Anker RZ and there are two re-badged versions to my knowledge: the Free-Westinghouse and a New Home version with minor differences.  These machines were top-of-the-line in their day (zig zag and adjustable needle position weren't altogether common back in the day).  They were reportedly rather expensive and Anker (as well as FW and NH) didn't have large market share as did Singer or Kenmore.  Thus, they didn't sell well and not a great many were made.  Thus, this particular machine is somewhat rare.

It has a 1 amp motor and runs very, very quietly.  It does need a new belt and bobbin tire but it's in such great shape I have to wonder how much sewing it's actually seen.  The clear coat is thick and shiny, the decals are intact, the knobs and levers work smoothly, and the chrome and nickel are nearly perfect.  Even the cabinet (despite a small spot near the front left edge of the machine -- see picture) is in great shape.

This Free-Westinghouse LZ is a machine I enjoyed cleaning and oiling because the transformation was dramatic, even if it took an entire day of detailing.  And so even though I didn't really know what I was looking at in that dark photo months ago, I was able to spot a gem based upon the machine's outline, the cabinet, and the style of its zig-zag lever.  (The other controls were too small in the picture to really see.)

If you've ever wondered how to find great stuff among the ordinary, it's possible that by taking a closer look, by training yourself to see beyond dust and detritus, you may find what you seek.  True, it's only a sewing machine but I've found other non-sewing items that are just as interesting.  Try really looking -- your powers of observation may be well-rewarded.

 

 

   

3 comments:

  1. This looks like the same machine that I have that was once my mom's. The instruction book that was in the cabinet says it's a Climax Zig Zag Sewing machine from Free Sewing Machine Co., Rockford IL and Beverly Hills, CA. The booklet has no copyright date or model number but does contain several pictures and explanations of the feet and techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought one from a church thrift store. It is in good condition but I'm not a quilter. I'd like to get it set up but would like a manual. Do you know where I could get one?
    Thanks for your great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for stopping by. I don't have a manual but this is what is known as a 'simple zig-zag', meaning that it does straight and zig-zag stitches only. That means that all you're controlling on this machine is 1) stitch length; 2) stitch width; 3) needle position (3: Left, Center, Right). Bearing that in mind, many manuals for such machines would mostly apply to this one. That or I recommend joining a sewing machine group and asking any questions you may have there among other sewers such as an online sewing group, blog, or Facebook page. There are hundreds of such groups, although I'm not familiar with any group specific to Anker sewing machines. (I wish I could find one!)

      Congratulations on acquiring a truly fine piece of German machinery. These are among the best zig-zag machines ever made. I hope you spend many years enjoying it and making great things.

      Delete