Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Kenmore 158.19131

 

Thrift stores are some of the best places on earth.  

Just several days ago, my mother called me needing to do some banking.  (Mom isn't one to decline to use a free chauffeur service.  The acorn didn't fall too far from the tree, did it?)  Neither of us knowing exactly where the bank branch is, I nonchalantly drove her to a nearby thrift store and decided we'd find the bank on our way home.  

There are times when the shelves are bare but not that day.  The shelves were stuffed with excellent merchandise and lo and behold, among computer keyboards, old power tools, and lamps was the above machine: a Kenmore convertible, model 158.19131.  An agent of Thrift Store Search and Rescue, I couldn't let it sit there, forlorn and increasingly abused as other customers roughly shoved it aside, now could I?  Not missing a beat, I hoisted it and plugged it into the testing station not because I suspected it wouldn't run but just to hear the smooth hum, see the smooth action, and emphasize my private elation that no other person, shopper or employee, would understand: Kenmore. 

This is the first time I've seen this exact model.  It's a convertible, meaning that at the press of a button at the far side of the pillar, the U-shaped end of the 'flat bed' (it's actually slightly sloped toward the plate) slides off to reveal a free arm.  This makes the machine extremely versatile, particularly for sewing small or rounded items such as collars, sleeves, cuffs, etc.  The bobbin can be accessed either by taking off this section or via another button on the left side, lifting a smaller section of the bed in front of the plate.  Here you'll find the feed dog drop lever as well as the bobbin area door.  Kenmore designed these convertible machines extremely well. 

For $7.99 this machine was an absolute steal.  It has dings and scratches but it's mechanically rock-solid and incredibly smooth.  I have three other Kenmore convertibles, all of them very fine but this is the only one with a cam assembly.  I was only too happy to add it to the stable.

  • 1.2 amp motor
  • feed dog drop
  • convertible
  • vertical bobbin
  • cam stack
  • cam assembly
  • super-high shank
  • reverse lever
  • interlock light/power switch
  • stitch modifier on the dial
  • built-in buttonhole function on the dial
  • button-style pressure control
  • double-needle capable
  • foot controller
  • two spool pins
  • bobbin winder
  • designed by Kenmore and made in Japan by Jaguar/Maruzen

No attachments, case, or cabinet were included.  The feet will have to accommodate the high shank architecture of this particular machine, so they'll be harder to find than the low shank feet and attachments found everywhere.  I could buy an adapter, though.  A small price to pay, don't you think?

This is one of several Kenmores I've found at thrift stores for very, very low prices.  Other brands such as Singer seem to command much higher prices and even generic Japanese clone machines can fetch substantially more.  Those who have sewn with Kenmores know how great they are and so I can only attribute the price difference to ignorance and a general sense that Sears/Kenmore was a utilitarian and rather non-luxe brand.

True luxury is quality, not brand.  Part of me wishes Kenmore enjoyed a better reputation but this is always squelched by my thrifty self: ignorance of quality allows me to afford it.

How about you?  Do you have a thrift store find that gives you great satisfaction?

      
   

2 comments:

  1. My best thrift store find to date is a Kenmore 516.891 'Lady Kenmore' for $20. Included were a utilitarian cabinet, a manual, and a pile of presser foot attachments. I had just bought a really nice Singer 500A from the store when I saw the Kenmore's rather worn out cabinet behind the 500A's. I could see a bottom corner of a sewing machine dangling out underneath its cabinet, so I knew the head was loose from one of the cabinet mounting pins and I offered to reset the head in the mounting pins. When I set about to reset the pin, I noticed that the machine was a Kenmore. "Oh, well, another Kenmore, I won't be getting this one," I thought since I already had 8 or 9 '148' and '158' Kenmores at the time.

    After resetting the loose mounting pin, I noticed the model number on the data plate started with '516' where I was used to seeing '148' or '158'. Then I noticed, "Made in Western Germany." I thought I might have found something special, thanked the clerk for the $25 500A, and mentioned that I might be back to get the Kenmore but that I already had a couple of those and was not certain I needed another.

    I went home, did some quick research on the model number, and returned to the store the next day to purchase the Kenmore. The clerk said that since I had paid $25 for the Singer, did I think $20 for the (implied "lowly") Kenmore was a fair price? I agreed and walked out with a very dirty LK that cleaned up and now sews beautifully.

    I really like my Kenmores for what they are: attractively designed, very powerful, wonderful sewing machines. I too appreciate Sears' mid-'50's through the early '80's sewing machine contract sourcing philosophy with their Japanese and German suppliers. Sears held its quality much longer than Singer did and sold much better machines during that period.

    John Thomas in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great story! Funny how we acquire our Kenmores in these odd, happenstance ways as they seem not to be very highly valued. Once I actually sewed on a couple of them and recognized their quality, I can't help but buy them when I see them at thrift stores for next to nothing.

      I wish I had the time to gather stories about my friends and acquaintances and the machines and interesting people we've all met while buying machines. I think it would make a great book.

      Delete