Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2014

More Cutting Tools

 

In addition to shears, scissors, and snips, sewing requires a few other cutting tools.  Pictured above are rotary cutters (and sharpeners), and a seam ripper.  

The silver-colored rotary cutter on the left is a 45mm right-hand cutter by Gingher made in Italy.  (I specify manufacture locale because not all Gingher products are Italian-made and it does make a difference in this case.)  It is excellent. The two yellow plastic-handled rotary cutters (45 mm and 28 mm) are made by Olfa in Japan.  I've only used the 45mm and it's very good.  The blades are sharp and the handle is comfortable.  I plan to use the 28mm for projects involving very tight corners.

I found the edges on the Gingher blades last a bit longer than those on the Olfa but both are quite good and very, very sharp.  However, the price for replacement Gingher blades is certainly higher.

I originally purchased the Olfa 45mm not thinking I would need the Gingher.  I then purchased a collection of Gingher cutting tools sold as a lot because the price was incredibly low.  Being able to compare both, I'm not sure the better quality of the Gingher justifies the higher prices of both the tool and the blades although I prefer the heavier feel of the Gingher over the plastic Olfa.  

The seam ripper is another story.  I have several small, plastic seam rippers that do a decent job.  This Gingher model is so far beyond them in quality that I really can't recommend it highly enough.  However, its long handle is perhaps not the best for tiny seams or seams in tight areas where a smaller one is possibly better.  

I have yet to try the sharpeners and have read mixed reviews.  I will update this post as soon as I'm confident I can give a fair assessment.  

Happy slicing.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment