Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2014

White Bean Salad

Here is a very easy Italian cannellini salad that's delicious and healthy. I recommend it as either a side to an entree such as fish or chicken or as a stand-alone salad before or after the main course. I find it's both filling and light.  My mother introduced me to this salad years ago and our family has been enjoying it since. 

Beans are high in protein, vitamins, and especially fiber, aiding in the digestion of other foods. Beans are excellent in a weight-loss regimen. 




Recipe:

1/2 lb. dry cannellini (white beans)
1/4 of a medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup parsley (chives may be substituted, as pictured here -- I prefer parsley)
4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

1. Place beans in a pot, cover with cold water, and soak overnight.

2. Drain beans.  Wash.  Put in pot with cold water and bring to a boil.  Turn heat down, cover, and simmer for 1.5 - 2 hours or according to the package directions, until done.

3. Drain beans and cool.

4. Add onion, parsley, oil, and vinegar mixed together.  Season with salt and pepper.

5. Refrigerate until ready to serve.




2 comments:

  1. I made your salad last night. It was a big hit! Served with grilled polish sausage and a green salad. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that sounds like a great dinner! I'm glad you like it. It's really easy, isn't it? I'll be posting more food soon -- maybe you'll wind up not such a thin man after all, eh? :) I have a couple of classic French dishes coming so stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete