Pages

Saturday, August 9, 2014

New Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2

I finally bought a new camera.  After roughly 10 years (the last two months including my blogging), I've decided that I've outgrown my old one.


Here's my current thinking:

If I'm taking a snapshot, I want speed, ease of use, and clarity.  I don't want or need expensive, finicky, lots of steps/menus/buttons, etc.  Automatic Mode is fine as long as I get good, focused, clear results quickly.  And I need good quality video capture.

If I'm taking a composed shot, I want beauty: vivid (but true) color, deep shadows and bright light, depth, the perfect angle, and all the features and equipment that accomplish a great shot.  I don't need great video at all, only good (see above).

Being a tightwad and knowing that I'll never be a professional photographer, I set my inner viewfinder appropriately.  Initially I thought I'd buy an entry-level DSLR, probably the Nikon D5200.  Since several necessary lenses are usually the most expensive equipment in the average photographer's arsenal, I knew that once I selected a particular brand and style of camera, I'd have to stick with it for a good number of years in order to make the most of my investment.  With that in mind, I began to look at the 4/3 system and found that it offered more of what I wanted and most often at a lower price point and with somewhat better selection (interchangeable cameras/lenses, etc.).  While Canon and Nikon loom very large in the optics and photography industries, the 4/3 system began steering me toward Olympus, Panasonic, and Sony.



Thus, my brand new GF2, an older but very respected compact model with a number of excellent, very usable features in an aluminum-clad body.  Mine came with an Olympus Zuiko 14-42mm kit lens and all the rest.  This will be my snapshot and video camera, as it's fairly small and portable with the exception of the lenses when attached.  At 12 MP, it's more than enough clarity for zoom/crop post-production.  It's fast and shooting RAW format, the quality should be as high as I need for its purpose.

As I gain familiarity with it, I'll post quite a bit more about the GF2 and of course I'll include quite a few shots.  Stay tuned!      

No comments:

Post a Comment