Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Elna Automatic Zig-Zag Free Arm w/ Cam Assembly

So what's up in Elna Land?

Well, my collection is very slowly growing.  I love Elnas and would like several more models because 1) they're great machines; 2) the models follow a very logical and interesting trajectory of innovation over the course of their Spanish-Swiss (Tavaro) history.  I just acquired one I've been wanting for a while and I'm pleased to report that it's in excellent cosmetic and mechanical/operational condition and it's as good a machine as I had hoped.

This machine is basically an updated Supermatic and there's really not much difference between them so as far as that aforementioned trajectory, this model is something of a plateau.  However, the Elna 3 came in a variety of models: flat bed straight, flat bed zig-zag, free arm straight, free arm zig-zag, flat bed with cams, and this one.  I have the flat bed straight and it's got a couple of issues including a non-operational bobbin winder and a desperate need of rewiring and rubber friction pulley.  I bought this machine partly to give me some idea as to parts needed and approach: Elnas are not for the faint-of-heart.  Or feint.

I love the look of this one.  Here it is in all its tan and violet glory:






This one is operated via knee bar, a feature I really love.  The power response is minute and immediate and the bar offers great control over speed.  There are the usual controls including width, length, a dedicated buttonhole dial, reverse lever, bobbin winder on top, and the signature Elna large tension discs that offer superior upper thread tension control due to the surface area interacting with the thread.  Bobbins sit behind the needle and presser bars, accessed by pressing the farthest plate backwards.  There are four feed dogs that surround the needle (sides, behind, front) rather than the more common three (sides and behind).  Spool pins are my favorite pull-up/push-down variety and the cams are released via a button on the top of the post.  I wish the hand wheel were separated from the body a bit more, as that would provide better grip.

Including presser feet and bobbins original to the machine, the manual, and 20 precious Elna cams.  These cams are collector's items in themselves and people spend years accumulating every one of the roughly 500 cams made by Elna including single and double stacks, utility, embroidery, and fun, playful designs such as ducks on water, sailboats, etc.  Such a machine offers years of entertainment and fun sewing, yet is as precise as any tailor would wish.  I love this machine.

Did I mention I'm a fan of Elnas?






5 comments:

  1. I am still tempted to find one for my mother just like the one she had when we were little. She is going to retire eventually and maybe she will get back to sewing again if she could do it on the machine she loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a very loving thing to do and I bet your mother would be really pleased. Didn't you mention that she had a TSP model from the Star series (the first machine in the above picture of the row of Elnas)? I hope you do!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I think it was the one with the gold top. I'll keep looking. She has a Brother that she got at Costco which she claims works okay. I have my doubts.

      Delete
  2. I have never tried an Elna. I saw that you mentioned them in the MPB comments and how you liked them. I just picked up a Kenmore 158-1320. Very sturdy little guy. Geez, if I keep reading and wanting all your recommendations I might end up in a warehouse full of machines. Fun for me, friends question my sanity though. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elnas are fantastic! I especially like the Supermatic, this model, and the Star series machines. Really beautiful stitches and quiet, too. I suspect my sanity's either long gone or suspected to be and these blog pages bear witness! I am starting to sell a few, though. :)

      Delete