Pages

Friday, March 11, 2016

Necchi 523

eBay strikes again.

I almost never visit the site anymore except occasionally looking for men's sewing patterns (I've cleaned out the stocks of local thrift stores) and the odd or end I can't find elsewhere.  The site has become bogged down with ads that slow my browser (and I have add-ons that supposedly block these pop-ups and are apparently foiled every time I visit) and prices seem to have risen, including for shipping.  I've visited the eBay forums and the attitude is something I can not only live without, it's something I'd rather not subsidize. 

Nonetheless, a Necchi search is a kind of habit with me even though I seldom even consider buying one.  I considered and did buy this model though, a Type 523 with no controller:





A spool pin, the Magic Key (buttonhole function cam selection knob that inserts into the hold on the face above the needle position lever), and controller are missing but the price reflected that and the dirt, something the seller didn't even bother to address with a 10-minute wipe down prior to photographing it for sale.  A friend at the VSM site mentioned he had almost purchased it himself several times but forgot about the auction, it would end, then be re-listed.  So, in addition to accepting my Best Offer and working out a lower shipping price on his end, I managed to get a machine for a pretty decent price ($25 plus $38 in shipping) -- lower than I would have found locally.  Once in a while, eBay and the universe conspire.  Or collide.

The machine itself is an off-shoot of the Lelia series of machines of which there are several, from the purely straight 510 to the more deluxe models with cam stacks and cam assemblies.  This particular 523 has a splatter finish which I like very much: it looks great, resists dirt, and hides scratches.  (This machine has a prominent paint ding on the top front.  I will take the top in for a paint match and address this.)  I haven't run it, as the plugs look as though a transformer blew its guts through the outlet and into the shattered plugs and burned wire ends of this machine's wiring.  So, it's a project machine albeit a mild one.  One of its best features is its color scheme, an olive drab green with cream.  Lovely thing, isn't it? 

Now that it's turning smoothly as a good Necchi does (oil and heat work wonders), I'll be comparing it to my actual Lelia, the very common 513.  Both are simple zig-zags with the aforementioned buttonhole feature.



In discussing the various Necchi models, the Lelia is mentioned often and in glowing terms.  The 52x machines are very similar although they have the upgrade of the inboard motor and circular needle plate.  If you find one for a great price, I highly recommend it as these are heavy duty beasts capable of sewing everything from gauze to canvas and garment leather.  52xs and Lelias don't have the price tags of the fully featured Julias or the far rarer Lycias and aren't quite a pretty as the sleek Nora but this is a very impressive workhorse machine.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the planets do line up and a person gets a deal on eBay.
    I would like a Lelia and/or a 52x.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, eBay can deliver once in a while. Lelias are pretty common and I see them there on a regular basis. Shipping is what prevents me from buying more, though. And that's probably a good thing. :)

      Delete