Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Phoenix 82

I found a Singer 216G not so very long ago.  I asked the seller some general questions about it and he said he had wanted to set up the machine in a corner of his house as a kind of shrine to his mother but that he couldn't.  I didn't ask why but I expressed some regret that he wasn't going to follow through -- it seemed like such a good son thing to do.  He smiled and shrugged and said, "Hey, things change." 

And so they do for us all.  I haven't been blogging much (and have really slowed down my machine acquisitions) due to life changes but I haven't been in complete hibernation.  To whit, I decided I would go ahead and buy a German machine I've been wanting for a while: the Phoenix 82, a simple zig-zag in aluminum construction, 4mm maximum width, and feed dog drop.




Consistent with German mid-century engineering, it's not lightweight due to the machining of its rods, gears, etc.  That much is all-steel.  However, it is noticeably lighter than your typical German machine of the era and it is extremely smooth.  Even the aftermarket Japanese .85 amp motor doesn't detract from its overall solidity, made even better with a healthy dose of oil. 

The box of attachments are a great bonus, as they fit other similar machines in the collection.  The cord and pedal are in fair condition and will need replacing soon.  I'm considering a 3-prong terminal for this one instead of the motor/light block setup currently powering it.  I've already replaced the bobbin tire and the belt (the rubber band type) is next on the list.

One of my favorite features of these Phoenix machines is the clam shell-style bobbin area: open with a latch, place the bobbin inside, close, start sewing.  Adjust tension if necessary.  Brilliant.

And another great feature is the color, a metallic sea green with red and orange decals.  I love the shape, too.  Sexy lines, this one.  I will keep it for a while, certainly.  Perhaps I might replace it with one in better condition, although this one is certainly not bad.  

I hope you're rolling with life's punches, adapting to change, and taking the longer view.  I'm trying. 
 


 

7 comments:

  1. I've been wondering what happened to you! Beautiful and unique machine, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you posted. I have sorely missed reading about your machines. Hope all is well with you. Life is certainly interesting these days. Your machines always brighten my day

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool-looking machine! I'll bet it is fun to sew on, too. I have never seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you are posting again. I was hoping you weren't gone for good. I use your site all the time for reference. My latest purchase was a very crisp Adler 153 in it's mid-century combination chair/cabinet with all the attachments. Not surprisingly I am in the process of fabricating a timing belt for it. Good luck in the search.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a very cool machine and it looks like it will be a lot of fun to sew on. I love the color and the lines, especially the back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful machine! Life sure is a roller coaster ride sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful little machine. I bet it runs smooth as can be. I know what you mean about blogging. Life got busy for me and before I knew it, it was over 9 months before I put out my next post.

    ReplyDelete