Pages

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Elna Grasshopper

The next few sewing machine posts are going to contain green sewing machines.  I love green, especially when it sews and so I hope I don't bore you with my infatuation.  (There are a couple of non-green ones in the works as well, so stay tuned.)

And before I go any further, I'm sorry I haven't been doing much blogging lately.  There's lots to do around here and I'm just getting caught up on those things; additionally, the weather has been hot, very dry, and smoky/hazy due to the fires in British Columbia and so I'm not particularly motivated to cavort, camera in hand.  But here goes.

A few months ago, I picked up an Elna 1, the machine affectionately dubbed 'Grasshopper.'  It's a wonderful machine, a tiny straight stitch phenom that was designed and built as the first Elna sewing machine ever offered.  Legend has it that it was made to accompany troops into the battlefields of WWII so that they could mend when not engaged in fighting.  The machine was so well engineered that it continued to be made according to its original specifications for years after its initial manufacturing run.  It began a series of machines that were well ahead of their time re. features, design, and overall solidity and smoothness -- qualities for which all vintage Elnas are revered today.  Elna is one of my favorite brands.

So here it is:






A real cutie, isn't it?

It makes one heck of a good straight stitch and it's extremely quiet and smooth.  The case doubles as an extension table and this particular machine came with a full set of attachments including the sometimes hard-to-find bobbin/thread stand, the original Elna oil bottle, screwdriver, feet, etc.  It's a marvel of engineering because while quite small, it's strong and has no problem with heavier fabrics.  The length lever is sensitive, so even minute adjustments are visible; accidentally moving it would dramatically change stitch length and so the lock knob has a quality, heavy feel that locks the setting into place firmly.

This machine's condition is certainly not perfect but I didn't pay much for it, either ($60).  I bought it because I didn't yet have a Grasshopper and this machine has most if not all the accessories.  Running it, threading it, and sewing with it, it's a pleasure to use and I can well understand why it's a collector's item.

I will do a more in-depth review once I've had more time to spend with it.  As a small straight, it's not one of my go-to machines (not like the Elna 2 -- the Supermatic -- or the Elna 3) but its toy-like looks that hides a tiny beast inside is fun to have and would be a great machine for beautiful top stitching on fine shirting. 

2 comments:

  1. It *is* cute. And it's green. That's always a plus. Maybe I should contribute my green Godzilla-finish New Home rotary to your collection. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Green is such a great machine color and I particularly like this variety. I'm not sure why I like green ones so much. Maybe it has to do with M&Ms.

      I have more green machines on the way (including one in which you were directly involved re. acquisition) so stay tuned!

      Delete