Pages

Monday, April 16, 2018

Bernina 1230

I could have sworn I wasn't going to buy an older computerized machine.  In fact I did swear that I wouldn't.  Why?  Computerized parts such as circuit boards have a definite lifespan and 100% failure rate.  If they can be repaired, it's a difficult job often requiring shipping the part(s) to the manufacturer and waiting (and waiting) for a verdict.  Parts made earlier than a certain date are simply no longer made and some cannot be repaired at all.  Buying a machine whose failure is looming (not necessarily soon but sooner than a newer computerized machine) and whose parts are scarce, difficult to repair, and in some cases completely unavailable for replacement is, shall I say, dicey at best.

So, what did I do?  I bought one.  This is the Bernina 1230, one of the earliest genuinely computerized models Bernina made.  It is a highly regarded and very expensive machine when running well and fully loaded.  When it's not running well (or at all), it's a doorstop.  Why?  Because replacing the capacitors and chips on a motherboard is beyond my skill set.  Dealing with tiny wires and soldering connections is not my thing.  (Tried it once, didn't like it.)






This machine runs well.  Really well.  I mean, it is really remarkable how fast, smooth, and quiet it is.  Unfortunately, it runs in reverse while in the forward setting and pressing the reverse button causes the stitch length to increase.  Pressing continuous reverse causes the length to be reduced to zero.  This behavior is random and is slightly different each time I turn the machine off, then back on.  Weird and annoying as hell.

Computerized machines use sets of motors called step or stepper motors.  I won't get into the details here but suffice to say the digital signals are sent to motors that are designed around (a series of) steps whose positions are determined by operator input.  Typically, these motors are robust and only need cleaning and lubrication; their digital input devices are usually what fail.

Based upon what I have tested thus far, my machine doesn't have a board problem; rather, it has a lubrication and calibration problem, specifically in the arm controlling the dogs.  This means that it is the length step motor that needs service, probably a thorough cleaning and lube.  It doesn't sound terribly difficult or involved but a Bernina tech has told me that it's much more involved than I might assume and I should take it to a dealer for service.  Since it's tax season (personal income and property), I've decided to hold off on a thorough service.  It's a nice machine and currently makes a particularly delightful doorstop.

Once mine is running perfectly, I'll do a complete review.  Until then, I can say that it's otherwise every bit as good as a mechanical Bernina, has a ton of decorative and utility stitches, does mirror stitching, has a dedicated basting mode, winds a bobbin like a champ, includes the knee lever for lifting the presser foot hands-free, needle up/down with the tap of the heel on the foot controller specifically designed for this function (not all of these controllers do this -- if you're considering buying one and want this feature, ask the seller for the type number), and lots of needle positions, Bernina's famous feet (old style, 1000 series), and the nifty bed extension that snaps into place and stays there for those non-free arm sessions.

And it was only just over $200: machine, "case" (cover, actually), controller/cords, bed extension, knee lever, box of attachments (8/10 original feet and missing the darning hoop).  With service, though...probably close to $500.  Worth it?  Probably not.  And that's why I don't buy older computerized sewing machines.  Except when I do. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment