Pages

Friday, August 7, 2020

Bernina 930 Electronic No. 3

Hi, all.  

It has been a long time since I created a new post.  I hope you're well during these strange times.  I'm doing well, although I'm in a period of change and that's sometimes difficult.  

I've not stopped collecting machines entirely but I'm collecting far fewer and only those I might be interested in keeping for an extended period of use.  This is one example, the revered Bernina 930 Electronic -- the version with needle up/down.  (This function controls where the needle bar stops when information is no longer being sent from the foot controller.  The machine includes a small, simple circuit board that keeps track of the state of the machine and when the needle bar stops in the Up position for example, a tap from the heel of the user on the portion of the controller below the hinge will advance the needle bar one half of one stitch cycle to the Down position, into the fabric.  Or vice-versa.)

I found this one on eBay and was the only person to make an offer.  I find this odd, as it appears a lot of Americans are buying sewing machines in order to make masks.  Have vintage mechanical machines achieved their market saturation and only the modern, plastic-clad models are selling well?  Or was it just good timing?  I certainly don't need three of these but at this price, I couldn't decline.  This 930 includes the machine, bed extension, case, knee lift bar, original manual, Bernina walking foot, and the box of attachments which is missing a few small items but included a great many Bernina and Schmetz needles.  Overall, a fairly complete package. 

Here it is in all its glory.  I like the needle up/down feature so much that I only consider the 930 models with this feature and fortunately this is one of them.  The foot controller the seller sent was DOA and so I've ordered a new knockoff version found on Amazon.  The one you see in the pictures is a spare non-heel tap version I had laying around.  

Such a fine machine!  Runs beautifully!!




I hope that if you're healthy, you stay that way and if you're not, that you get to a place where you are and can maintain it.  You're all in my thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment