Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Borletti zz2000

I'm currently in pursuit of a certain Borletti, an early '60s model that one sometimes finds as 'Borletti-New Home'.  (Janet, I'm probably more interested in that machine purely out of perseverance than for any other reason.)  I don't know the histories of either so I don't know whether New Home purchased the Borletti firm but in searching for more information and seeing a few glimpses of various models from the 1950s and '60s, I wasn't sure I'd be able to find what is a somewhat uncommon machine, locally or nationally.  It turns out that I have found a genuine Borletti both locally and, in a way, nationally.

Finding a more obscure machine sometimes means being able to identify by shape, feature set, color, and cabinet.  Many sellers don't know what they have nor do they care.  In searching CL for an entirely different reason (honestly, I was searching for bar cabinet and NOT a sewing machine), I found this:









I took a second, harder look.  The shape was vaguely familiar.  "Is that a Borletti?" I asked myself.  I did another quick Google search and though it might have been a Japanese imitation, I was intrigued.  I contacted the seller and upon seeing it, bought it on the spot.

This machine weighs in at about 50 lbs. w/out the table.  It's extremely robust and would likely be a semi-industrial were it not for the fairly anemic (but very smooth and quiet) Westinghouse 0.7 amp motor bolted to the back.  In fact, some of the pictures I've seen for this model and the zz2001 are treadled rather than motorized -- very common for light industrial or Artisan class machines during that time.

I've only had the machine a full day or so and although I've wiped it down, I haven't even oiled it so I need to get to know it a bit better to give a full review.  It has length/reverse and width + limiter screws control obviously but also needle position, feed dog drop, and a dial on the side that I'm not sure about but I believe it is a dedicated buttonhole controller.

A local Borletti?  Strange!  I was looking for an entirely different, later model and I find a genuine Italian Borletti badged as 'Designer', sold in Oregon by a distributor for National Sewing Machine Co., the guarantor of the warranty in writing found in the box of attachments.  All of it is Italian-made, so this leads me to wonder if Borletti hadn't yet acquired license to sell in the U.S. and only did so under contract.  Or it could be this was a promotional machine or Borletti signed a contract with National that their machines would be shipped w/out badge to the U.S. whereupon motors and various badges would be attached depending upon the seller.  (This was often the case with Japanese manufacturers at the time -- shipping unnamed machines for 'designation' upon entrance in the States for departments stores [Macy's, Alden's, etc. all had machines badged in this way] or specific sellers had decals custom made.)

Kind of confusing but serendipitous, no?  So, did the universe laugh hardest when I said "Holy crap" to my computer when I found this one or now, as I write this?
 

15 comments:

  1. Interesting story on your Borletti find. I had a similar experience when I saw a CL offering titled, "1933 Singer 66-6 Style-o-Matic." The Singer Style-o-Matic zz sewing machine was manufactured in mid-60's, not 1933. The sm in the offering photo was a 66; but its manual shown was not the typical dark green/black lettering manual of the era. It was more colorfully illustrated and entitled 'Style-o-Matic'. After some quick research I realized the seller was including with the very nice 66 and its pristine original cabinet the very rare Style-o-Matic attachment that was touted to do "17 different fabric treatments" such as ruffling, shirring, gathering, etc., all in one attachment.

    It is amazing what you find if you look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice score! Yes, with a little knowledge there's no telling what you might come across. I still sometimes scroll by the attachments listings but I have to remember that some of the best stuff is in them.

      Delete
  2. Sharp eyes! What a wonderful find! I think the machines that fall into the "gray areas" (like refurbished former Redeyes) are by far the most interesting. Maybe we should have a reality TV show called Sewing Machine Detectives. We could be like those American Pickers guys and travel around the country. Probably too small a viewing audience to make that work, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! We could be the Scully and Mulder of the sewing machine universe, ferreting the histories, the scandals, the placement of bobbin winders. Maybe we could run it by PBS?

      I thought this was so strange -- finding this one just two days ago while not even looking for a sewing machine. (Well, not really looking.) I see this model fairly frequently on the Italian eBay site but I never see this one here in the States. This is probably an example why.

      Delete
    2. I always say, the universe knows what you need, not what you want. :)

      Delete
  3. An awesome machine and an awesome story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wil. Yes, it's a really nice machine that completely surprised me. And it's in my favorite sewing machine color, too. :)

      Delete
  4. Indulge me-what is you opinion of that 15-style tensioner on this machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added two pictures so that you could get a better view (sorry for their being dark and one is out-of-focus).

      Aside from the check spring shape, I immediately thought that the tension disc diameter is larger on the Borletti and that the threading is finer. Turns out the diameter difference is negligible (about 1" for the 15 -- I did a quick measurement on my 15-91 and maybe 17/16" for the Borletti). However, the threading is indeed finer and the stem longer, so the granularity is much greater as is the range. Algebraically, this means both greater range and domain but at smaller increments, giving the Y-axis or absolute tension value more accuracy as well as more plot points in a scatter graph.

      Drawing thread through the assembly, I found I could go from zero tension to a high degree of 'floss'. Then again, I haven't taken it apart and cleaned it so dirt might be a factor. :) I could probably find the same levels of tension within a much narrower, standard range on the 15 but it would be hit-or-miss rather than exact.

      To Singer's credit, the numbered dial, while referential only, is more useful; perhaps finding the right tension is not quite so hit-or-miss for standard sewing.

      Does that give you a better idea of the tension on this machine?

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I should add that the Borletti's tension has a greater *useful* domain rather than a greater absolute domain. Hope that makes sense.

      Delete
  5. Yes, it makes perfect sense, and I like how you phrased it. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one beautiful looking machine. I love the color. I can't wait to hear how it sews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael. Yeah, it's a beautiful shape and color. It looks even better when we have sunlight. :) I'm contemplating purchasing an original manual -- maybe even one in Italian!

      Delete
  7. I live in Rome, and i remember my mother's Borletti zz 2000. My mother was too shy for asking my father a machine tuning up. Last December my mother has dead. I got some old photos of her youth (she se was born in 1926) and now I can't ask he anymore about who and where, but the machine that se used I'll remember forever. Tuned perfectly. Thank you Mummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely story, Claudio. Thank you for sharing it with us. My mother died last October. I'm glad you still have the machine she used; I'm sure she made some great things with it. :) I hope to visit Rome some day. Take care!

      Delete