Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Jones CS Hand Crank "The Royal Ruby"

I'm becoming a slattern.  I'll pretty much fall for anything around $50 and so when I saw this advertised on CL, I casually called and made the appointment.  I figured if I was too late, that was fine and if I was the first caller, meh.  I'm actually glad I went ahead and investigated. 

This is a Jones cylindrical shuttle (CS) hand crank from the early 1920s named 'Royal Ruby.'  I have no idea what that nickname means.  Did the British find an unusually large stone in, say, Africa or India to which this machine refers?  It's made in England and comes from a long line of venerable machines produced by the Jones firm, machines whose hand cranks in particular are now popular collectors' items.  While this particular machine is later than the sought-after/expensive models found on eBay, I believe this is a very good example of the machines that directly followed.  The simpler design and decal sets are less immediately arresting but I find their subtlety more appealing in the long run.  I'm guessing the flowers of this model are clematis but that is just a guess. 

As you can see, it includes a base and coffin top, a storage compartment (and box of attachments), slots for a treadle cable, and a beautiful set of decals.  The Ruby reminds us of its origins with a decal centered on the bed: 'English Made' over a vase of flowers.  The shape is a Singer takeoff but remains classic Jones in that it has a round, bulbous shape at the column's top.  The action is very smooth and quiet -- much more so than the inexpensive Chinese cranks attached to many classic machines.  If a vintage crank isn't available or within range, a reproduction will have to do but always keep your eyes open for vintage cranks if you need one.

A very pretty machine and in excellent condition for its age, I think:







I managed to get much of the machine cleaned and polished in about 2 hours but had to stop just short of a complete job due to work and an errand.  (I'm blogging in small glances today.)  Since this is my first crank machine with an actual crank (unlike this one or this one), I'm glad I found one working with its own original mechanism.  While I'm not the biggest fan of the VS design, I have to admit it's very quiet and the shuttle and long bobbins are easy to remove and insert.  This machine came with a box full of VS attachments and feet; I'm wondering if Singer works with Jones. 

So, did I buy this for actual sewing or for display?  I'm not sure.  Perhaps a little of both.  It's good to have a people-powered machine (I don't treadle) but I wouldn't want to do too much with this one, as it's in such good condition.  I'm impressed with its quietness and am anxious to try some sewing.

I remember when I was a young kid, my third grade teacher Mrs. Vilhauer led a discussion about whether something is considered antique.  The discussion naturally migrated to furniture and at one point she asked "Who would ever want to live in a museum?"  I responded lustily, "I would!"  This isn't a museum-quality piece of course but my sewing machine acquisition has slowed in recent months as I'm taking stock of what I have and what I need to sell.  Perhaps I'm not so exclusively mid-century after all. 



1 comment:

  1. Hi Mouse
    Your Ruby is a beauty! Have you tried any sewing with this machine yet? I assume you know all about the needle situation with Jones Family CS Sewing machines and where to get support for other spare parts such as bobbins, pulley rubbers and so on. Your Singer low shank feet should work with a Jones and vice versa. It's funny how the VS system grows on one with familiarity and those long bobbins hold more thread than the '15' lovers would have you believe.
    Great blog!
    Hugs
    G

    ReplyDelete