Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Singer VS2 Roses and Daisies

Perusing craigslist (always dangerous), I saw an ad for a Singer VS2.  The pictures were dark but it appeared to be in decent shape in a non-Singer table and cover.  However, I don't treadle and it was in a small, remote town in the northwest corner of Washington State, so I posted it in a forum to which I belong thinking others might be more motivated to retrieve it.  Though there certainly was interest, it was just too far away.

After a few days and curious to see if the ad was still up, I went back to craigslist and sure enough, there it was.  I contacted the seller, we set a day and time, and yesterday I purchased my first treadle machine, warts and all, for $60:






The wheel and needle bar move very freely and the tension assembly, length screw, clutch, pressure knob, and bobbin winder appear to be fully operational (everything moves as it should).  It needs a different and appropriate table, a new belt, and a re-shellac, plus a thorough cleaning and polishing.

It would make a great conversation piece but I'm not sure I have the time or interest to embark on such a big job, besides apprehensive about taking on such a delicate one.  (I would need to buy some tools, materials, and time in addition to research.)  We'll see.  I'll keep it for a while and see if I'm moved to fully restore it.

No comments:

Post a Comment