Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Two More Thrift Store Irons

My search for the perfect vintage iron continues.

I frequent 2 or 3 thrift stores and they always have irons, always.  Most are cheap junk, mistreated, have probably fallen to the floor too many times, some are filthy, others broken, and others -- when taken to the testing station -- don't so much as warm.

But there are exceptions and here are 2, a fairly recent model Panasonic NI-R53NR made in China ($2.99) and a Rowenta DA 80.4 made in W. Germany ($3.99).


Tested at the store, they both worked.  Tested at home, they both work very well: on cotton and synthetics, they ironed fairly quickly and with enough heat that I could apply water from a spray bottle and watch the steam rise from the hot cloth.  Pressing was even and precise, meaning the heat was distributed throughout both plates and the controls offered a wide enough range of heat that I had no trouble finding a good setting for 2 blends, including one with rayon.

The Panasonic appears to be an older version of a current model.  (Browsing Amazon, I can find very similar Panasonic irons for about $25.)  This model has a non-stick plate, a feature about which I had initial doubts (melting, flaking, chipping, transfer, etc.) but in truth, this iron moved smoothly over every type of cloth I tried.


The steam feature does indeed work and at no point did the iron drip or leave marks.  However, there aren't enough holes in the plate to be a truly effective steam iron.  The semi-oval pattern of holes means that you must press for steam as you move the iron across the cloth, hopefully steaming all the cloth within your arm motion -- not the best design for stubborn or very wrinkled items.  I do like the choices of steam and spray, however, and the clear, colored design of the water reservoir keeps me aware of when I need to refill:


The sprayer itself, the fill hole residing underneath a flip-cap (the fill hole is large -- kudos, Panasonic):


The temperature control dial is located underneath the handle, a location I do not like.


My hands are large and taking my hand from the handle or once again grabbing the handle means my long fingers accidentally change the dial's setting.  Fortunately, the dial has some resistance so it's not extremely easy to turn; however, I prefer the simple design on vintage irons that puts these controls on the top of the handle near the front: easy to see, easy to set, difficult to accidentally change.

This iron also has an auto-shutoff feature and it seems to work intermittently (or more likely, I haven't figured out the time interval required to activate this feature -- there was no manual with the iron).

I've read many iron reviews that dislike retractable cords.  I don't understand why because this is one of the best features of this iron.  It's not bulky and it works extremely well: fast and tightly wound.



The other iron I purchased is a Rowenta, a company long associated with quality clothes irons.  I purchased another Rowenta and was disappointed (and I read reviews of that model and it seems that most had a terrible experience with it).  Not so with this model.


This iron works exceptionally well.  It's fairly substantial, heavy, and takes a bit more time to heat than the Panasonic discussed above.  But it's hotter and the steam feature is remarkably effective.  It stands up on a flat, built-in stand of its own, so it resists tipping and the design is handsome.

The controls are large and where the Panasonic buttons wiggle in their slots, the Rowenta's are smooth and solid and take effort to press, flip, or turn.



Once again, the temperature dial is located underneath the handle and once again, I don't like it.  However, in this case the Rowenta is large enough for large hands that I don't find myself touching the dial very often at all, as there is more space between the dial and handle.   And while I like the clear reservoir of the Panasonic, the water level window on the Rowenta is accurate, although it takes a deliberate glance while upright.

The Rowenta is not in perfect condition.  The sprayer button is missing (see above picture).  However, since I use a spray bottle with all my ironing, this doesn't matter (although I would like to have tested it).  The other issue is a little more serious:


The sole plate is stained beyond repair.  I've taken steel wool and some metal polish and tried to get it as smooth as possible.  Thus, it's very clean -- clean enough for ironing clothing -- and it's very smooth but probably not as smooth as it was originally.

The Rowenta doesn't have a retractable cord, so that's a bit of a disadvantage.

I've tried to do some research on this model and haven't found any information re. what it may have cost when new.  My guess is that it's from the 1990s.  I'll continue to search; perhaps I can even contact Rowenta and have the missing sprayer nozzle shipped, if one can be found.

All in all, I like both these irons.  I prefer the size, weight, and heat of the Rowenta.  But I prefer the features of the Panasonic (see-through reservoir, retractable cord, spray and steam choice).  To be fair, the Panasonic appears to be a much newer iron.  On the other hand, it was probably priced far less than a comparable Rowenta when it was new.

Do you have a favorite iron?

Update:

Here is the Rowenta, polished using Brasso and 0000 steel wool, then finishing with Maas polish:


What a difference!  It's not perfect but the goal is to remove anything that might stain fabric and to remove as many surface imperfections as possible to facilitate smooth ironing.  It will never look new again but the plate functions as if it were. 






 

4 comments:

  1. My favorite is the one I learned to iron with--a GE Power Spray steam iron with the cloth cord, circa mid-1960s (my mother got it as a wedding present, most likely). I have been lucky enough to find two of them and use one regularly and keep one as a spare. The Black and Decker Classic (I have two of those, also) is a good alternative, although the new reproductions that B&D is selling have the auto shutoff which I cannot abide.

    I also have two Mary Proctor ironing boards. My mother has one, which I have requested she leave me in her will. The Mary Proctor ironing board has an end that flips up to make a full rectangle, which is great for sewing. One of my Mary Proctor ironing boards also has a second flip-up section along the side, which makes it even bigger. I can iron yardage with ease on those boards. I keep one downstairs for when I sew down there, and another one upstairs in my sewing room.

    I am kind of a weirdo when it comes to ironing boards and irons. I have never been able to love the Rowenta irons, although I know people love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the auto-shutoff feature is really annoying; it seems every iron now has this feature as if it's the result of a law -- and I wouldn't doubt it.

    I found a large Italian ironing board with a pop-up sleeve board, also at a thrift store. I have to find or make a pad/cover for it, though.

    As for Rowenta, their quality control is not good based upon my experience and their prices don't justify such shoddy quality. However, the older, German-made items seem to be well-made and this iron especially so.

    Today I found a 1960s GE in a thrift store and was tempted but I have enough irons for now. The Sunbeam Ironmaster(?) is an old favorite in my family. My mom ironed our clothes with one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question for you.... Does this Rowenta model have an auto shut off feature?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, bear -- Yes, it does have the dreaded auto-shutoff. If you're doing heavy-duty ironing, I recommend a gravity feed or boiler iron: no auto-shutoff and they steam like the dickens. The extra cost will more than pay for itself over time saved and with better results.

      Delete