Pages

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Accutron 26B48 Automatic Wristwatch






This is a large, square-dialed dress watch made in Switzerland by Accutron/Bulova.

I had needed to buy a new watch for about a year and I bought a Casio that I like and still wear.  However, I needed something a little nicer for functions that are a little nicer.  Not having any idea what to buy, I shopped around and found these.  I bought both because I like the style and the price was very good.  They had been used by NBC for their guests to wear during filming of interviews and news programs, so they were technically 'used'.   Though nothing special, they're a simple (hour, minute, second sweep hands with date window) and easy-to-read style that suits my purpose nicely.

Originally, these sold in retail stores for $595 (and the price tag inside the boxes for my watches confirms my online findings).  Later, Bulova lowered the price to $299, as the style was being discontinued.  This was the retail price when I purchased these 'used' models for $80 each.  Upon receiving them, they appeared never to have been worn, as they were still tightly wrapped in their plastic packaging around both the boxes and inside the boxes around the watches themselves.

The 26B48 is an automatic which means it is wound by movement of the wearer's wrist rather than operated by battery, solar, or manual winding.  It is a skeleton, referring to the window on the back which exposes the movement, 25 jewels with sapphire crystal and combination stainless/matte case.  The date window is large, time and date changed by the crown.

I find the design simple and elegant and the straps are thick and appear to be of high quality, as is the watch itself.  On the wrist, the size of the watch is large and really makes a statement.  I don't wear them often (Notice the dates don't match and are way off?) but when I do, I receive compliments.  These are great in a business setting and the black/silver is good for more formal attire.

With the ascendancy of cell phones, the wrist watch has become something of an anachronism.  But what a great legacy of technology, engineering, and jewelry design within the watchmaking industry!  Men have few opportunities to wear jewelry and I grew up during a time when watches were highly prized conveyances of status, style, durability, and practicality (I wore Timex and Casio watches and as a child and still do).  Although I love the convenience and accuracy of the clocks on my phone and computer, I continue to wear watches because I like having them on my wrist.

Do you wear a watch?

No comments:

Post a Comment