Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Singer 401A

We sewing machine collectors have all been through this:  we see a machine for sale and it's a borderline case.  It's missing a part or two.  One of the missing parts is a power cord and so it can't be tested.  It has a few dings.  But it's a venerable model and one you don't yet own and the price is really low (this one was $9.99).

Buy it and put in the time and effort to raise it to the standard of the rest of your collection or pass and wait for a better example?










It's missing the power cord, the hinged door over the cam assembly, and has no feet or attachments.  It has a few dings.  No cabinet (thankfully) but also no carry case.  I ran it using my 301A power cord (3-prong input on a 2-prong machine) and the light works and it runs, but slowly.

Fix it or part it?

Update:  I have begun to refurbish this forlorn 401A. 

As mentioned in the comments below, I purchased a hinged cover (the one with the decals) -- spool pins included -- and have both lubricated the captive bearing and cleaned the motor, i.e. polished the commutator, fired off the carbon from the brushes, cleaned the brass spring housings, etc.  It had a broken stabilizing clip (replaced with one from an old Touch-and-Sew) and the insulation strip (the one that falls out when you take the motor apart) had been in the wrong position. 

Not only does this machine now run, it runs like a bat out of hell.  I now need to find a replacement cord and pedal and see if I can snag a box of slant feet and a cam or two.  I'll then adjust the machine's settings to make sure all stitches can be sewn and I'll then put it up for sale. 

I'm sure glad this is just a hobby, as I would have gone bankrupt long ago.  As inexpensive as this machine initially was, I will likely put at least $50 into it in parts.  Of course labor is never included.  Still, it's a good feeling to get this thing running well if not quite sewing as yet. 

2 comments:

  1. I ran across a similar 500A Rocketeer for $15 and decided to fix it up. I found a replacement top cover ($25) and ordered a replacement power cord ($10). I am glad I did because it is the best operating sewing machine I have. I ended up getting a second 500A for $20 that needed a face plate ($15) and it now sew great. Both came from local thrift stores.

    John Thomas in NC

    John Thomas
    High Point, NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did find a replacement hinged cover for the cam assembly, so I guess I'm reluctantly fixing this one. I've narrowed down the slowness issue to two likely problems: petrified grease in the shielded bearing chamber or carbon buildup in the motor. One of these days I'll get to fixing it!

      Delete