Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Singer 201-2

OK, so I'm being rather profligate, aren't I?

Normally, I would save my money and buy a model I don't yet have (especially that Juki industrial for which I have a deep-seated yen).  However, I just can't resist a great sewing machine at a good price and so here I am buying my second 201 in just a few months.






This is a craigslist find (lately that's where they all come from) and the seller was very cool.  He wasn't sure how much it was worth but he was raising money for a charity devoted to blood research and related illnesses.  We dragged the table out of his absolutely stuffed 3-car garage (no room for cars) and we plugged it in.  It struggled and needs oil and lube but it's a keeper.  Cosmetically, it looks almost brand new.

Inside the cabinet (Singer no. 42), the drawers were stuffed with thread, bobbins, needles, the manual, etc.  Seriously, we couldn't even open the drawers they were so full.  I gave the machine an exterior cleaning, wiped the cabinet down with Endust and now I get to choose between the 201-2 Centennial I purchased just a few months ago and this one.  Or maybe I should keep them and use one as a display piece in the house.

Not bad for $60.  If you've been wanting a particular machine, be patient; machines find us and the universe is generous.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful machine. I would like a 201 since it is supposed to be one of the best Singer made. Thanks for the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Wil -- Thanks for commenting. It's a nice one. I have another 201-2 (and a Centennial) but I think this one's even better, at least cosmetically. Hard to resist them, isn't it?

    I still keep hoping for a 15-125, a 500, a 201K, and a 226. Oh, and a 206K. :D

    ReplyDelete