Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Adler Class 98 Industrial Zig-Zag

Here is my first industrial machine, an Adler 'Klasse 98' zig-zag.

The machine's provenance is unknown to me and the seller knew nothing about it other than she plugged it in and it runs.  She kept calling it The Alder, proving her claims of ignorance and innocence were not easily dismissed.  I've not been able to find out anything about this model except that Adler rates this machine a medium-duty industrial for leather, upholstery, sails, awnings, and the like.  The seller did mention that the technician who worked on it praised it highly and said it had been 'tweaked' to run at roughly 2600 stitches per minute (spm) rather than the factory based spec of 2000.  I haven't done a stitch count but this seems completely reasonable, as adjusting and modifying is common with these machines depending upon their application.

The maximum stitch width is 8mm, the widest I've used.  It's also the heaviest machine I own by a wide margin and it came in a k-leg table with a .5 hp Mitsubishi clutch motor, articulated lamp, spool tower, foot pedal and knee controller, bobbins, etc.

Running the machine, its speed and power is surprising to me, someone new to industrial machines, although I'm sure it's nothing special to those experienced in the industry.  I've tried to find out more about it and although I've found nothing except parts lists and a machine prospectus from Adler, the reputation of this particular model appears very high in the sailing and upholstery fields based upon the blogs and articles in which the machine is discussed.

What's important is that I like it.  For $85, I believe it's an excellent introduction to industrial machines as the 98 is medium-duty, a zig-zag, and not quite a large as some of the more robust machines made for the heaviest sewing.  I plan to place it in a newer table (perhaps even having one custom made) and with a Servo motor after which I'll devote a much more in-depth review.     

2 comments:

  1. When you can find one, this machine usually sells for somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 euros. Sigh. I guess you gotta be in the right place at the right time. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I thought $85 was a good deal, just not that good. It's a great machine so I hope to enjoy it fully once I learn more about how to use it. The seller wasn't interested in it at all and just wanted it gone. Sometimes that happens. I hope you can find one or something similar for a great price, too.

    ReplyDelete