Pages

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Baby Lock BL3200 3-Thread Overlocking Machine

Today was a fine day.  The Sun shone in a cloudless sky, the air was warm but in anticipation of Fall, and traffic lights turned green as I approached.    My mood was good in anticipation of a new machine and it improved when finding out the machine is better than I expected.

The Baby Lock BL3200.  I've been wanting one of these (or a very similar vintage Juki/Baby Lock) for several months.  Eying various online sellers, I was planning to spend $100 or more.  Cruising craigslist, I found one for $30, met the seller with the very dirty machine in tow, whereupon she lowered her price to $20 because she was ashamed that it was so filthy, a craigslist first in my experience.  (I didn't protest too much but said that I expected to clean it up, as the picture indicated it would take quite a bit of elbow grease.  She insisted.  Who am I to object to a seller with a conscience?)





I'm not sure when the BL3200 was made but I'm guessing the mid-'70s based upon its styling and features.  It isn't one of the early Baby Lock sergers that were introduced to the domestic sewing market in the '60s because those didn't have sewing lamps, had larger logos, were in bright colors, and were a bit smaller with a shorter deck.  These vintage Juki sergers look like small robots, like something out of Lost In Space.  I half expect to see the telescoping thread tree start spinning for signals and be greeted with a "...good...mor...ning..."  The little rubber feet, the knobby tension assemblies, the mouth and throat of the needle area all make these a precursor to Star Wars droids.  I find Juki's utilitarian design lovable.

The BL3200 came with the original manual, long tweezers, and the pedal/power cord.  It took me about 3 hours to thoroughly clean and oil the machine.  I plugged it in, hoping for the best.  The light turned on with the power switch, I pressed the pedal, and it ran like an absolute top.  It is as smooth as any standard sewing machine I've owned and I can't wait to thread it (difficult, from what I've read both from owners and in the manual) and see what it can do.

It has a few dings here and there but all in all it's a great-looking little serger.  I'll post more about it in the coming weeks when I've had a chance to learn to use it.     

 

14 comments:

  1. Very nice little serger. I Owen an EA-605 from babylock which is a four thread two needle serger from around the same era.
    Mine is only missing the differential feed, since I would like to sew t-shirts and hoodies on it. But I do not want one of the modern looking ones. There is one last full metal babylock serger,which is reported to be the first differential feed serger from bayblock. It is the BL4-436DF which is listed on the australian bayblock Website:
    http://www.babylock.com.au/about-us/pictorial-history
    I Wisch you a lot of fun with your babylock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and your kind words. And thanks very much for alerting me to the 4-thread DF model -- another machine for me to look for! An all-metal differential would be the best solution for me as well (other than an industrial model). Also, I didn't realize these all-metal overlockers were made well into the 1980s with the same original styling. This is good information, thank you.

      Delete
  2. I taught classes at Minnesota fabrics when this serger was introduced. The 3200 was a number unique to Minnesota Fabrics and is the same machine as the BL-418. I have owned a few sergers and none can compare with the 3200. I purchased 2 online and need to get them serviced. The previous owners broke the chaining tongue and the timing needs to be adjusted. The narrow hem feature on this machine is the best I have seen. Have fun with your purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great serger. I taught classes for this machine when it was introduced in the 80's for Minnesota Fabrics. It was only sold at Minnesota Fabrics (Hancock Fabrics) at the time. It was the same machine as the BL418. the narrow hem feature is excellent as is the overlock stitching. Have Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dayna -- Thank you for that information and your review of the machine. I plan to keep this one setup for 3-thread overlocking, especially of lining fabric and inside seams. These small, all-metal sergers are a great compromise between industrial functionality and domestic use. Hard to thread, though!

      Delete
  4. Do you see that the lower looper will drop down for easier threading?
    \

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't! But I will check it out this evening so thank you for the heads up. I don't remember reading that in the manual but it's very possible I completely missed it.

      Delete
  5. Could you post a video on how to thread this serger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will if I have time. It may be a bit of a wait, though -- I hope you're patient! :)

      Delete
  6. I recently acquired a BL3200 also and really would love to see a video on threading it. It is very nice to find someone who is willing to help. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, boy. I haven't tried to thread it in a while but since you're the second person to ask, I'll do my best. It's not easy to thread but I do have the manual which describes how to thread it. Perhaps between a video and posting pictures of the manual's threading guide, we can get yours threaded.

      Delete
  7. My first serger was the BL 3200 and it just came back home to me but without the manual. Does anyone have one they would copy for me or know of a source? I would appreciate any help. Glad to find this site with owners. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mouse, I too am interested in a video on threading this machine.

    ReplyDelete