Pages

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Pfaff 30


I just purchased a 30 from a local guy who had no idea about/interest in it.  It was $40, a good price.

(By the way, what is it with me and $40, i.e. all the machines I've purchased for that amount?  What is up with that?  Is there a virtual sign above my head that says '$40'?  Do people look at me and say to themselves "Him?  Yeah, I'd pay him $40"?  WTF?)





The 30 is not common in my area.  (Now watch -- they'll start popping up all over.)  I've never seen one in person until yesterday, the only one I've ever seen for sale here.  It's straight-stitch only with reverse, feed dog drop on the deck.  It takes Class 15 bobbins, so it's high-capacity.  The motor, oddly enough, is not the 1.3 amp Pfaff that is common on this machine (and the 130) but a 1.4 amp.  1/10 won't make a huge difference but it is a notable departure from what I've so far read is standard for these Pfaffs in the US.  Needless to say, it has power and speed to burn.  I'll do a LOT more sewing on it but I've had this machine less than 24 hours and it has vaulted to the top of my straight-stitch heap.

(I should also note that the seller, very pleased, told me that he sprayed WD-40 throughout the machine in order to help me get it running really smoothly.  I smiled and thanked him profusely and began to sweat.  I may have even shed a tear of both joy and sadness due to his good will and the problem he created.) 

The design of the bobbin area is unusual (to me) in that a hinged collar holds the housing in place rather than the more typical bracket/screw design.  The castings of the shafts and pins are very impressive.  I'm no expert but it appears this machine borders on semi-industrial.  Not a whiff of plastic anywhere except the tension and the wheel.

The cabinet is sturdy but the finish is obviously shot.  I like it though and will refurbish it; I particularly like the hardware and the spider webs on the base in the picture add to the vintage feel.  In it, I found 11 pairs of scissors and shears, a boat load of notions, a pair of lace panties, and a box of contraception.  Thus, I assume it was used as a night stand.  (OK, what was that about $40?)  The original manual is here, too.

From its condition, this is a machine that appears not to have seen much use.  That's hopefully going to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment