Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Clarinets

Friends, I have decided to learn to play the clarinet.

Why?  Well, I have music in my background (and a BM in music) and I miss playing an instrument.  For a change, I'd like an instrument that is portable and fairly inexpensive to begin.  I dabbled in the cello in high school but a good cello (one with a reasonably good sound, made of good materials by a good luthier) is fairly expensive -- around $5K.  I considered the oboe but I hate the prospect of reed-making, though the English horn has its charms.  I've always loved the sound of the clarinet and when doing some preliminary shopping, I found several thrift instruments (2 at actual thrift stores) that are actually very good, according to clarinet blogs.

So far, I've purchased 2 beginner instruments (for students at the very beginning, like myself) and 2 intermediate instruments (for more serious students and amateurs).

Here is the beginner soprano B-flat clarinet, a composite Buffet B12 made in Germany (mid-'90s) and the intermediate soprano B-flat clarinet, a Grenadilla wood LeBlanc Noblet made in France (1960s):



As you can see, the Buffet is in good shape.  It's very playable and the pads are in excellent condition.  There are some dings here and there but nothing major and nothing that compromises the sound or mechanisms.  There is some tarnish here and there that needs cleaning.  Even that I've only been playing the clarinet for 3 days, I'm getting good sounds from it both in the chalumeau and clarion registers.  The sound seems very even and the intonation (apart from operator error) appears to be very accurate.

The Noblet is a project instrument.  It needs a thorough cleaning, re-padding, and adjustment, oiling, and polishing of the wood and metal.  In other words, an overhaul.  I'm beginning to polish the keys, posts, and bars but it's a painstaking process made more difficult by not taking the entire clarinet apart.  The wood is beautiful.  

Here is my beginner alto E-flat clarinet, a composite Selmer Bundy made in the USA (mid-'80s, I believe):



 

Like the Buffet B-flat pictured above, this clarinet is in good shape.  However, it does need a re-padding; a former owner re-padded it and it's obviously a DIY job.  The instrument certainly plays but I'm not sure this mix of neoprene and leather will hold up well.

As mentioned above, I have a Grenadilla wood Noblet alto clarinet arriving tomorrow.  The seller claims it plays well and sounds good but needs "...a bit of work."  We'll see and hear very shortly -- and I'll post more pics as they become available.

As for clarinet books, I'm currently using a beginning band book for very basic guidance.  I have the elementary and intermediate Hal Rubank method books on order.  They're highly recommended at blogs I've been reading, so I'm excited to begin!

Stay 'tuned'!

Update:

Here is the other alto clarinet, a 1960s Grenadilla Noblet made in France:





  





 

No comments:

Post a Comment