Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Kenmore 158.470

Here's my newest, a beautiful Model 47 in excellent condition.  It sews beautifully, smoothly, precisely, and all functions work including the almost complete set of decorative B-cams. 





I need to remove the (glued) decal from the nose but other than that, it's very clean.  Although I prefer the look of the very similar Model 48, this is one I've wanted to add to the herd for a few years.  $40 isn't a steal but I think it's a good price and I have a Kenmore table waiting to be occupied with a machine.  Perfect.

(The bottom picture features attachments, a lamp and shade I bought at a thrift store for $4.99 and an original oil painting from another thrift for $65.  A mid-century explosion!   The daffodils are from my garden.) 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Wil. It sews as well as it looks. I used Maas metal polish on the shiny bits. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if my other comment went though, nothing showed up... Basically, where do you adjust the needle-hook timing of this machine? I have one I'm restoring and for the life of me can't figure out where to adjust the timing. Everything is correctly timed except for the needle-hook and there's nowhere even slightly obvious to adjust...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Travis -- I'm not sure what happened to your other comment, as I've never rejected a comment for publishing.

    I've adjusted the timing on exactly one machine and not a Kenmore. I found this video generally helpful (different machine):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE2umnAmv1k

    Where are you having trouble -- adjusting the position of the needle bar? The point of the hook with the counterweight?

    Are you a member of any Yahoo! groups? Here is one I strongly recommend and I know they can answer your question better than I could:

    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/VintageSewingMachineRepair/info

    You have to join (easy), then post your question to the group. You can post pictures, which is very helpful. These are guys who have been repairing machines for decades and there is a large body of knowledge there. Give that a try and if you're still having trouble with your machine, I can help you in private e-mail.

    ReplyDelete