Pages

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Elna SU 62C No. 2

I spotted another Elna SU on CL last night without a price. Intrigued, I contacted the seller and he responded that he thought $40 was fair. I agreed and this morning I met him (great guy -- a fisherman who had no idea how to operate the machine) and I tried it out. It works beautifully. These are some really nice stitches and the machine is quiet and smooth, just like my first Elna SU that still needs a hook pinion gear replacement.

I really like this machine. However, with its plastic parts, it's prone to breakage and so I only recommend it with qualification: 1) if it's cheap; 2) if it's in good condition; 3) if you don't mind getting under the hood; 4) if you need a lighter weight free arm machine. This would be a great machine for sewing lightweight wovens, particularly sleeves, cuffs, collars, etc. The straight stitch is impressive for a zig-zag machine and the built-in patterns as well as the cam patterns are very attractive. But a Kenmore, this ain't. It just isn't reliable/durable and powerful enough for me; that the feed dogs can't be dropped and the pressure can't be adjusted are two more demerits.  It's a shame, as it's otherwise a smooth, quiet, superlative sewing machine.



No comments:

Post a Comment