Pages

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Sewing Cabinets

I've been collecting sewing cabinets/tables for as long as I've been collecting machines.  I've managed to snag some very nice ones and many that aren't so nice.  Because I have some nice machines in rickety, deeply gouged and scraped up cabinets, I occasionally buy cabinets themselves or machines in nice cabinets just to get the cabinets.

Cabinets are usually quite inexpensive or are often free.  They're often used as end tables (usually a little too tall) or small desks (with big holes in them for machines, if you open them up) and are frequently made of particle board over which is applied some very thin veneer, if that.  There are exceptions, however -- some are actually very nice.

Here is the Singer #42 desk with matching stool, purchased today for $5.00:



Sure, it's a little beat up and scratched but when the weather warms a bit more, I'm going to refinish several cabinets and this will be one of them.  It's actually in pretty good shape for the price.

Sewing cabinets are almost always for sale in my area and people are wanting to be rid of them.  I have several others that I picked up for free or near it; I'll be posting their pics when I've had a chance to fix them up.  I'm not a furniture expert but I should be able to make this and a few others look and operate much better.  I'll even reupholster the seat cushions.

No comments:

Post a Comment