Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Necchi Supernova Julia

On Saturday, I purchased this machine and I made an appointment with a CL seller to purchase the following .5 Reliable clutch the following morning:


It's a very nice one and in great shape, and was kept in his pristine, spotless garage next to an E-type Jaguar in mint condition. We had agreed to meet at 9 a.m. and because he had completely forgotten (and his son called him after I spoke with the boy at the door) he was 30 minutes late. He gave the motor to me and apologized profusely. Do I hate it when people forget about a meeting they've scheduled (and after all, he was the one who chose the day and time)? Hell, yes. Do I love getting free, really nice, cool stuff? Hell, yes.

The next morning (Monday) before work, I purchased another machine for $20. I bought this 401A to eventually flip, as I don't want it. It's in really great shape, includes the manual, a full set of slant feet, a bunch of other sewing paraphernalia (bobbins, cams, tools, etc.), and comes in a large, heavy mid-century modern desk that would actually work as a real desk. In thinking about it, I may keep it for a while.

Yesterday, I contacted a CL seller about a "Vintage Sears Sewing Machine" for sale, her ad showing a Necchi Julia. We agreed to meet in the evening and she came to the door barefoot and in her pajamas with her long, flowing hair dyed bright blue, her nose ring glinting in the setting sun. She was very nice and showed me the 'Netchy', explaining that her father had purchased it for her mother, who hated sewing. The father made a remark about his wife's sewing and her mother resented it so much that she never sewed again.  This isn't the first machine I've purchased that included some baggage.

In addition to those emotional scars, the machine was absolutely filthy, complete with the hair of several animals, oil varnish galore, dust, dirt (as in dirt from the garden, not the usual household dirt), and a smell that would put the smelling salts industry on notice.  I have cleaned it and it's near-mint:






The case is in fair condition but the machine is in remarkable shape and for $25, it's an absolute steal. It's as full-featured a machine that the 1960s would produce and even includes a built-in pop-down magnifying glass and separate needle threader.  I don't really like the pastel lavender color but it's consistent with its age and styling.  I haven't run the machine because the wiring is in terrible condition; although I tend to plug things in and test them despite (or in spite of) bad wiring, this one is too far gone to take that risk.


9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. Needs re-wiring, though. I keep looking for the Esperia -- none locally.

      Delete
  2. Yes, so does mine.

    There was an Esperia for sale at our Habitat for Humanity ReStore last winter, for $75, and now I am kicking myself that I didn't buy it. Dumb dumb dumb Janet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a Nora in Spokane for $75. Too far for a quick pick-up but that's another very nice model.

      Yeah, the Esperia is a really desirable one. If one appears in my area, we'll have to flip a coin. ;)

      Delete
    2. I saw that Nora just before I left. Go figure--now that I am away, a whole bunch of cool stuff suddenly appears. There was a Mira here in Maryland for sale, with a Wonder Wheel on it, but it looks like it has sold.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Indeed I do. I need to re-wire it, though.

      Delete
  4. Would you consider selling your Julia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, it's not for sale. Thank you for asking, though. I see them on eBay now and then so they're out there. Keep looking and one will come your way!

      Delete