Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Singer 401A No. 2

This particular CL seller wanted me to leave the $20 under his doormat and he would leave the machine/desk and stool in front of the garage.  He wrote that he'd be leaving it out '...in the morning...' and so I arrived at 7 a.m., coffee and a smile.  (Good thing he lives only 5 minutes away.)  That smile faded at around 9 a.m.  The coffee kicked in and I had to take a leak, so I drove home and drove back at 10 a.m.  There it was and here it is:







It's a nice machine in great condition and in a very nice desk.  (I actually like the desk more than the machine.)  I'm considering selling the machine on eBay and keeping the desk as an actual desk (with perhaps a Pfaff 30 tucked inside).  The top wood piece you see sitting on the desk sits flush between the other top panels (see first picture) and is activated by a switch in back:


I like it.  I also like the style and the color and I'm usually not attracted to blonde wood.  The drawers were (and still are) full of accessories including cams, feet, thread, vintage snips, darning tools, needles, bobbins, etc., even a vintage Singer sewing book from the 1950s.

So there you have it.  My third find in as many days.

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Wil! It came with a matching stool but I forgot to include it in the photo. Most of the sewing desks/tables I have are cheap but this is one of the nicer ones.

      Btw, I read your blog entry re. your grandmother and her Singer. Very touching. I miss my grandmothers, too.

      Delete
  2. Hey, someone in Spokane is selling a lot of seven vintage machines for $100. I am 2500 miles away right now or I would have hopped in my car and driven over there. I just thought that since you were on a roll, you might be interested. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I wish I could! You enabler, you. I'm running out of space.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like having a second unit of a model I like. It makes fixing one easier because there is a second one to compare the one in need of service to.

    John Thomas in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess that I bought a THIRD one for $25, also very near my home. Do these machines appear in threes? As I figure out what's wrong with no. 1, no. 2 and no. 3 will serve as models. Fortunately, I don't think I'll need to part any of them.

      Delete