Pages

Friday, June 12, 2015

Necchi RZI-8

I love vintage Necchis.  I love industrials.  Combined, won't I have double the love?

Well, not exactly.  Here's another project machine, a Necchi RZI-8 industrial made in the 1950s.  It's a light- to medium-duty zig-zag with about 2500 spm (according to factory spec).  These pictures are after the first cleaning pass, the first of several:






I bought this on eBay for $50.  Yep, a great deal. 

(The seller listed it for $100 OBO.  I offered $50, thinking he/she would counter with their 'reserve' price, the lowest they'd consider.  Within 30 minutes -- instantaneous in eBay time -- I received a message through the eBay system that my offer had been accepted and to PAY NOW.  OK, then.  I post this play-by-play because someone kindly sent me a note doubting the veracity of the price I'm claiming I paid.) 

However, the listing included the original operating manual and service manual, and the single-needle tension assembly.  These items somehow didn't make it into the box containing the head, so I'm having to deal with the usual eBay crap of contacting the seller and asking if they had planned to ship those items separately, etc.

This is a project machine, obviously.  I need to find the appropriate belt and find an appropriate double-needle tension assembly, reattach the top thread guide that snapped off as I was lifting the head out of the box (it's mounted on a spring rather than fixed or hinged or pop-up), and I need to start mixing oil-based hammered-finish paints to match this one: a mix of silver, pewter, and a little bronze.  The hand wheel is a complete repaint, although the bed (despite the large scrape in the front) isn't too bad.  I'll need a set of presser feet and the insides will need a thorough cleaning of thread, dust, lint, etc.

Lastly, I'll use the Reliable .5 clutch I recently found and mount the whole thing into a (hopefully) vintage table complete with lamp, thread tower, etc.

Check back on this one but not for a while! 

6 comments:

  1. I think I cannot be your friend anymore. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh?? Why not?? Don't you love it?

      Delete
    2. OF COURSE I LOVE IT. I'm just giving you a hard time. I've stopped looking on eBay so I didn't see it. Nice find. I'll stop being jealous now...maybe...

      Have you seen this? http://amandawynn.com/2014/12/23/how-not-to-ship-a-sewing-machine/

      If you run across one of these, though, I would like a heads-up (scroll about halfway down): http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2015/05/just-chain-stitchin-away.html

      Isn't that gorgeous?

      My sewing machine hunt continues today, Thus far, no luck, but I keep looking.

      Delete
    3. And I'm just giving you a hard time in return! :) I knew that if any of my three readers would like a Necchi industrial, it would be you.

      That looks like a treadled BV from the '30s, though I'm not sure. It's absolutely beautiful and in stunning condition. Wow. Thanks for dangling a carrot in front of my life that I'll now forever be chasing! Arrgh. The problem with having sewing machine friends is that I now have to find two (or more) of everything; if I find one, you'll be the first to know -- after I buy it!! :D (j/k)

      Keep looking, Janet -- you've got the eye for the really good stuff. Aren't Necchis phenomenal? I just got another BU Mira two days ago and man is it smooth.

      Delete
  2. Today is National Sewing Machine Day, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so it is! This requires a celebration. I've just logged into craigslist -- I'm on it.

      Delete