Pages

Monday, June 15, 2015

Necchi BU Mira No. 2

Sometimes a seller knows just how good the machine s/he is selling happens to be.  The guy selling this machine is well aware of Necchi's legendary engineering, tight biases and screw threading, beautiful stitching, and all else.  But he wanted it gone and I was able to buy yet another BU Mira for a mere $50 in an original Necchi cabinet (needs refinishing) and it runs.  Perfectly.

I love this machine.  Were I forced to jettison every machine save one (man, that would suck), I might choose the BU Mira just because there are few machines which do everything really, really well.  Many of my Kenmores are contenders on the basis of sheer competence and ease of use but they don't have quite the smoothness nor the panache nor the physical beauty of one of Necchi's finest models.





I love the way it sews, it sounds, it looks -- it's easy to operate, the stitch limiters work so beautifully, the tension assembly is so refined that I can choose from an almost infinite number of settings, ditto the pressure knob.  The oil ports have bearings to prevent dust, the motor has two speeds...and the Wonder Wheel is unique and very Italian.  (In the interest of full disclosure, this machine is missing the WW rods and the tire is the usual crumbled mess that needs immediate replacement with the O-ring kit workaround.)

I will never pass up a BU Mira for $50 or less.  I can't -- not one in this condition.  Do try to find one, as they're just so choice. 

6 comments:

  1. Peter, I just posted on Janet's site that I found a Necchi BU Mira with a Wonder Wheel at our local Habitat ReStore this afternoon for $25. I got with the sm and cabinet a bunch of attachments, the sm and WW manuals; but I think I am missing one of the WW connecting rods. Did you have trouble finding ones for BU Mira #2?

    I am looking forward to bringing it home tomorrow and start playing with it.

    John Thomas in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, John. Congrats on your Mira score! Great price on a great machine. Neither of my Miras have the connecting rods but I've seen them many times on eBay (usually with wheels and some other odds and ends). I doubt you'll have trouble finding them, though a complete set may take some time. I've been collecting so many other machines that I haven't devoted any time to completing either of my Miras.

      Good luck and enjoy your new toy!

      Delete
  2. I realize this is an old blog post, I just happened to find you. I actually have this Necchi. I had to drag it out and look to see what I had. It is what I learned to sew on. I retrieved it from my Mom as I thought it was a horrid machine. You know how kids are. Well, I came to my senses and asked if I could have it. Since I’m the only one in my family that sews, she had no problem giving it back to me. Unfortunately, I haven’t cleaned her up and run her yet. But this post may actually get me going to do that. As far as I know, everything is there just like the last time I used it. I made all my 4H projects on it until I got my own Kenmore as a grad gift waaay back in 1980. I don’t think she has been sewn on since that time. I know my Mom didn’t use her. Thanks for this post, it was fun to actually see something I own talked about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes! I was a kid once and I well remember what I thought of mom's turquoise Singer (that took all of her attention away from me, of course). You learned on an amazing machine. These Miras are one of Necchi's finest and I believe one of the best sewing machines ever made. I hope you get it in tip-top running condition and make some very cool things with it. With some gentle cleaning and a good amount of oil (and check the wiring, too), these Necchis come back remarkably well.

      Thanks for stopping by and hope to see you here again.

      Delete
  3. I'm new to the Necchi group I bought one yesterday for $40 from two very nice ladieswho wanted it out of there shop. We all had a nice time an hour drive in NH in a convertable. After my dinner I set it up to investigate my new acquisition. I have never had a Necchi to explore. It has great potential, a tinkers delight! I wanted more if a turn let machine. Low and behold in Craigslistnh today I found a beautiful Mira by convient to me, beautiful condition has all ways been in domestic use. Respected and maintained. A real beauty, I'm thrilled. I'll pick it up next week. I happily paid $150 and glad to get it!!

    I'm very glad I found this site it seems very friendly. Enjoy your day.

    Best, Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Larry. Thanks for stopping by, congratulations on your great Necchi finds and thank you for the kind words. Welcome to the sewing machine addiction! It's very hard to buy just one and Necchis are especially interesting. I encourage you to join an online Necchi discussion group. There you'll find lots of information about your machines, how to use and maintain them, manuals and history, etc. Good luck, you're off to a great start.

      Delete