Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Necchi RZG-11 Medium-Duty Industrial Zig-Zag

I purchased this machine some weeks ago.  I have tried in vain to find out more about this particular model but it is apparently so rare that very few people actually own one, let alone write about them.  (I found one in Italy and have contacted the owner.  My Italian is limited to my very spotty knowledge of opera arias and libretti; I hope he speaks and writes in English.)  Fortunately, the English language manual was included as was the table, motor (.5 clutch), lamp, and thread tower.

It's a very, very fine machine -- one of the sweetest I own.  I have another similar RZI-8 that was made more for darning and embroidery stitching but this machine is intended to be used as a professional tailoring/dressmaking machine for which several Necchi buttonhole attachments were specifically made.

Specs are as follows, approximately:
  • Bed plate is 18 11/16" x 7"
  • Throat is 10 13/16" x 5 1/8"
  • Sewing thickness maximum (depending upon material) is 9 32"
  • Max stitch length is 5mm
  • Max stitch width is 6mm
  • Max speed is 2500 spm
  • Needle system: 134
  • Double-needle tension assembly
  • Spring-loaded length regulator with reverse  



In cleaning the machine, some of the paint from the bed continued to flake from the existing areas of bed wear.  While I typically reserve touch-up paint for small spots, I knew that if I didn't address this flaking immediately, more of the original paint would be lost and so I filled in a medium-sized spot on the bed and along the front lip of the bed.  I used a high-gloss, oil-based Rustoleum that dries very hard.




The design has an Art Deco quality that I find very appealing, particularly the width and needle position control knobs.  Fortunately, the machining techniques such as the exceptionally fine screw threading and the long length throw of the length lever is consistent with many of Necchi's best domestic machines.  Mechanically, this machine had been professionally serviced at regular intervals and it is smooth, smooth, smooth.  Cosmetically, it is in very good shape for its age, although I have been told that touch-up painting can lower a machine's overall collectible value.  I felt I had no choice, as continuing to use it even gently would have further diminished the amount of original paint.  I limited the touch-ups to a few spots and have left the machine alone otherwise.  I think it's very beautiful.


 

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm, holding out on me again, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! :D What do you think -- nice, yes? I thought I had mentioned this one to you but perhaps I'm thinking of that Bernina I've yet to write up. This one's in much better shape than the other and so smooth!

      We've got to find you a Necchi industrial. There's an RZI on eBay but it's overpriced, i.e shows a lot of wear. I'll be looking; imho, these are the ultimate Necchis.

      Delete
  2. It's lovely. I can be patient (I think)--I am sure one will make itself known. They really are such pretty machines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked for a Necchi distributor for years but we didn't handle the industrial 's. But I've made a Facebook page to start to collect the knowledge about them that is still available. I put your RZ as the cover photo! https://www.facebook.com/groups/948183591917397/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a very nice compliment! Thank you very much and I look forward to regular visits to your page.

      Delete
  4. I have an RZG-11, according to previous owner, it is very rare and old.
    I am looking to sell. jbhaan@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, the RZG-11 is a rare model. It's not terribly old (mid-1950s) and I don't think it's unusually valuable beyond its ability to sew which it does very well. Facebook, craigslist, and OfferUp are all good options. Take a look at what industrials are selling for in your area. I would charge a bit more than average as it's a Necchi and it's an unusual one. The condition looks to be about average and could be cleaned and polished to look much better. I might buy the head were I closer but I'm in Washington State so shipping would make it too expensive. Good luck, you have a very nice machine!

      Delete