Pages

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Pfaff 134 Straight-Stitch Industrial

Cruising CL, I happened upon an obscurely titled ad for two industrial machines, a dark picture of two distant hunks of vaguely silver-colored metal placed haphazardly upon a table behind a rocking chair and box of diapers.  The price was $350.  The text was cryptic, indicating both machines had possible issues.  At any rate, he did manage to spell 'Pfaff' correctly, although the model numbers were way off.  Intrigued, I wrote to him.

It turns out that he was selling a Pfaff 138 and 134 together, motors included, table tops included, but a base for only one of them.  He described their condition as 'working.'  (I'm never sure what a seller means by that term.  Does it sew?)  He seemed OK though and after several e-mails, I nailed down the machines as the 138 and the 134.

I've read about the 138 for quite a while and have always wanted one, as it's considered one of Pfaff's best zig-zag machines by more than several people whose opinions I respect.  I didn't know about the 134 and didn't want another straight-stitch machine, so I requested to purchase the 138 by itself.  He was very reluctant, saying he needed to get rid of them.  I agreed to purchase both, met him, and in addition to a fairly decent 138, I'm the proud owner of a 134 in good shape.  In the single day I've owned it, I've come to the conclusion that it's the finest straight-stitch machine I've ever used.





Despite the obvious pin rash over the front decal and a light rusting in the belt trough of the hand wheel as well as some minor bed wear, this machine's in good shape.  It runs very, very smoothly.  After oiling, it became extremely quiet.  There's not much to write about other than it's everything you want in a machine with perhaps the exception of perfect cosmetics.  This is a medium-duty machine and it can handle anything lighter than heavy canvas, leather, etc.  I will eventually purchase attachments such as less aggressive feed dogs in order to sew lighter materials.

I've taken the machine out of the table and am cleaning it, so it's not quite ready for its close-up.  It's also missing the original bobbin case so I'll be trying to find one; hopefully eBay won't let me down.  The 134 may not look impressive but it's a great sewing machine and I'm very happy the seller did me the favor of forcing me to buy it.  

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. TY. :) It sews even prettier.

      Delete
    2. I was on the phone with someone when I clicked on this page. I was all agape and couldn't think of anything more coherent to type. :) What I really wanted to say was I could be perfectly happy buying nothing but straight-stitch machines for the rest of my life.

      Delete
    3. Although some zig-zag machines make excellent straight stitches, many (even some of the best brands) have the problem of leaning stitches due to the transverse nature of the needle bar. I used to think zig-zag machines are the best but since what little sewing I do is about 90% in straight, I'm beginning to see the light. Machines like this one certainly help; it's incredible and I find that the two machines (134 and 138) are actually excellent mates.

      And I'm glad 'Ooooo, pretty' didn't become a medical transcription! :D (Just kiddin'.)

      Delete
    4. The thing about multifunction sewing machines is that they can sometimes be like those 3-in-1 print/fax/copy machines--they do a lot of things, but don't do any of them well. A straight-stitch machine is designed to do one thing and do it extremely well. My ideal sewing room (I am getting there) will have six or seven machines set up, each one assigned to a different function.

      If, heaven forbid, I could only have one or two machines, I would choose my Necchi BF and my Singer Rocketeer. That Rocketeer has sewn everything I have thrown at it--straight stitch, zig-zag, zippers, decorative, elastic, canvas, lace--and has done it well and without any angst on my part. It truly is a multifunction sewing machine, and when I bought it, it was frozen, filthy, and missing parts. The Necchi Supernova may be similar, but I have yet to get mine up and running.

      Okay, I am done. :)

      Delete
    5. I really should put my Kenmore through its paces; I watched a YouTube video by Stagecoach Road Sewing about that specific model, and it has both regular AND stretch stitches, which I gather were rather cutting edge for that time period. I do enough sewing with knits that it would be great to see what that machine is capable of. I don't think it will disappoint.

      Delete
    6. You and I have the same idea of what a herd should be. Like you, I want about 10 machines maximum, each assigned to one specific task. Making a pair of jeans would mean sitting at the correct station depending upon the stage of construction. I have a lot of machines to sell and a few to buy; I'm getting there, slowly but surely.

      Congrats on finding the Rocketeer, a great multi-function machine. It must add a special kind of satisfaction that you brought it back to life and that it's providing you so much great usage!

      When it comes to domestic machines, I tend to agree re. the all-in-one vs. single-purpose idea, although there are exceptions (such as your Rocketeer and the Kenmores of which I'm so fond). With industrial machines, the single-purpose point is made even more forcefully.

      Delete
  2. Also, I wanted to say that if the feed dogs drop on that machine, I might start looking for one like it. The harp space is really generous and it looks like it would be great for machine quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question. I'm not sure they do but it's likely there is a plate that can be inserted over the dogs. Since I never sew w/out dogs, I didn't ask the seller (and he probably wouldn't have known).

      If it were my mission to convert people to the appreciation and use of industrial machines, I would go door-to-door with this one. I'd sure be tired, though.

      Delete
    2. Yes, some people even just tape an index card over the feed dogs to cover them.

      Delete
  3. I just bought this machine, as well, and I was wondering if you had any luck finding out how old it is? I am looking everywhere online and I can't seem to find any information. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried ISMACS?

      http://ismacs.net/pfaff/pfaff_manufacture_dates.html

      Try matching your serial to this list and see if that narrows it down a bit. The list is not error-free, though.

      Delete