Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Kenmore 158.18023 No. 2

If you're interested in Kenmore sewing machines and spend even a small amount of time around them and with others like you, at some point you'll hear about the 1802.  You might even come across one and consider purchasing it.  I highly recommend doing so.

The 158.1802 was Kenmore's top-of-the-line machine back in the late 1960s to early '70s.  If you look at old Sears catalog pages, you'll find grand pictures and write-ups extolling this machine's virtues and indeed, this is as fully functional as a sewing machine could be at the time.  It was sold with lots of accessories and attachments (sometimes called the Tower of Power) and usually in one of the nicest sewing cabinets Sears sold.  The 1802 is a deluxe machine, not the utilitarian appliance many associate with the Kenmore name and even features the 'Sears Best' badge on the back, indicating this was the best machine one could buy from the legendary American department store and mail order business.

Made by Jaguar/Maruzen in Japan, the body is enameled cast aluminum rather than iron and while not lightweight, it's not as heavy as one might expect; in a carrying case, it's very manageable.  As you'd expect, all the innards are steel from the internal cam stack to the drive shafts to the knob mechanisms but even the exterior knobs, hand wheel, and faceplate are metal, including the decorative plate on the nose.  The cam assembly door and hinged nose door close with a satisfying 'Snap!' and moving the hand wheel by hand is really smooth, but takes a little effort due to the mass of the moving parts.

I remember asking a Singer fan what it is about the 201-2 that makes it such a revered machine.  She simply replied "Try it and you'll have your answer."  She was right; her answer could just as easily be applied to the 1802.  If you've not tried it, you're in for a treat.  It's one of the best Kenmores ever made, a great machine.




If there is a point of criticism, I think the hand wheel is too integrated into the body and too narrow.  Were it just a bit wider and set away from the pillar slightly as in other models, it would be easier to grab and turn.  It's fine as it is and I like that it's metal but as someone with very large hands, size matters.

This particular example is near-mint.  There is the tiniest paint ding on the rear of the lid and other than that, it's in perfect condition.  $50.  The 1802(0-4 -- there are five numerical designations for basically the same machine) doesn't appear often on CL in my area, so I snagged it.  If I sell one of my two, it will be this one, as it shows a little more wear.

*Edit to add: Melani, in her comment below, reminds me that the four models of 1802 machines are 1-4, not 0-3 as I had thought.

**Edit to further add that upon further research, there are five such machines (158.1802[0-4]) and these final numbers appear to indicate the year of production, i.e. 18020 == 1968; 18024 == 1972.  
 


9 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, I think I must begin making a study of Kenmores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Bernina can come close to the value represented by this machine. I hope one crosses your path!

      Delete
  2. Another great Kenny. You really find some great ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Michael. It is indeed a great one. The stitch quality is excellent.

      I have some other machines I'll be posting in the next week or so -- stay tuned. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I own Kenmore Zigzag model 158.1802.4. I do not know what the difference is between it and the model show here on your site. I purchased this gem 20 years ago from a thrift store in a cabinet with all the attachments including special stitch cams and monograms for $20 (twenty dollars). It was originally purchased for $270 in 1973. The original receipt was inside the manual. It was not used by the previous owner, there was no fabric dust in the shuttle. I have treasured it. It has never let me down. I oil and clean it regularly, that is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Melani. Fantastic price on an 1802, especially one so pristine. It's a great machine -- reliable, powerful, and does great stitches. If I were to choose just one all-purpose zig-zag for a future sewing area, the 1802 would be my choice. And like you, as long as I keep it cleaned and oiled, and treat it gently, it'll far outlast all of us. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. How do you tell which 1802 it is? My manual only says model 1802 and I can't find a model number on the machine anywhere. Is it hiding from me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casey, have you looked under the front lip of the bed? There should be a metal plate attached that states the full model number.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Melani, I found it, it's an 18021. It was a $10 find at a garage sale! The workmanship seems so nice, and I got it working after a new pedal and cord from eBay, but ran into a snag. I think I used the wrong type of bulb and heard an ominous "zap" when I turned the power on. Now the light switch doesn't click and I think it will need a new power switch. I doubt replacement parts are available, got any hints as to what I could do?

    ReplyDelete