Pages

Monday, June 22, 2015

Reece S2-BH Buttonhole Machine

I purchased two machines from the owner of a sportswear company, the first being this one.  That machine, the Lewis 200-1 button sewer, is the machine I was most interested in but he was adamant that I purchase another machine, as it would increase my productivity (and increase his work space).  The other machine is a Reece S2-BH:











I've read mixed reviews of this machine, from stellar to "I had to take it to the dump."  Just looking at the machine inside and out, I'm very impressed, although it needs a thorough interior cleaning and I have not run it.  It sews a chain stitch, so the stitches are presumably very secure as long as the single thread (this is obviously not a 2-thread machine so there is no bobbin, etc.) remains intact.  The machine's buttonholes are adjustable and I believe it can sew 6 different sizes, cutting after sewing rather than vice-versa.  The cutting mechanism requires the appropriately sized knives and sets are available (I've found both NOS and Juki) and are reasonably priced.

The S2 has many oil ports including ball bearings in order to resist dust and dirt.  The belt cover lifts up as does the top of the machine, revealing the buttonhole length adjustment; I have yet to find a width adjustment so I'm not sure one exists.  The tumbler-style counter is an interesting feature, as is the two-step pedal mechanism: first touch on the pedal lowers the foot and secures the material, second touch sews and cuts the hole.

The S2 can be modified to be used as a bar tack machine.  This is what makes this particular machine potentially useful, as I will need to be sewing a lot of tacks in the future.  It may make more sense to simply purchase a tacker, though.  Eventually I may decide I prefer my buttonholes to be sewn in lock stitch; I do find the chain stitch attractive and have admired buttonholes sewn this way.   

This particular machine was installed on its own custom Reece table but I had to take the table apart in order to get both machines and their tables into the car.  I haven't put the table back together but I've included a picture of the pedal.

5 comments:

  1. I think $100 is a bargain for hours of entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These machines had my total attention for several hours and I'm going through the Reece manual now -- very entertaining! Refurbishing the machines and tables (possibly the motors) is days of enjoyment. $100? Pffft! I'm loving this!

      Delete
  2. That is a nice machine. Your blog inspired me to watch the S2 do its job making buttonholes on youtube.
    I want one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have buttonhole attachments for my Kenmores/Singers/etc. that do excellent buttonholes but how cool would it be to just put the fabric through one of these machines? And it looks cool doing it, too.

      What I need (eventually) is a tacker and the S2 can tack with some parts mods. I did find an Alder bar tack rebadged a Chandler and I passed on it -- dumb move!

      Delete
    2. That should read 'Adler', sorry.

      Delete