Pages

Monday, June 22, 2015

Lewis 200-1 Button Sewing Machine

Via CL, I met a somewhat regionally important owner of a small sportswear company (he's known in his industry) and inquired as to several machines he had listed for sale. As a small-time collector of vintage sewing machinery, my favorite 5 words in the English language are "I just want it gone!" (or some variant) and he did not disappoint, leading me all around his impressive operation, a guy who is keeping his entire line of production here in the US. He needed every bit of space he could find and two appropriately US-made machines sat unused and neglected in a corner near the loading dock.

These machines are very cool and are the first of their type I've ever purchased.  (So, they're cool to me but they're in no way unusual or rare -- just old and interesting.)  Here is the first one, a Lewis 200-1 button sewer:








As you can see, the machine does 2- and 4-hole buttons and has an adjustable stitch for size.  I don't yet have a manual but the mechanics seem fairly familiar, i.e. the tension assemblies, needle position, guides, 'presser foot', thread take-up, etc.  The crinkle finish and multitude of oil ports are a notable departure from most machines I own, as are the button trays and plastic 'hood'.  The green portion in the harp is likely a later addition, probably from a Lewis Union Special 200-1 that was produced several years later.

The machine is sitting on a table that I believe is maple.  It's very heavy and strong; I'd like to refurbish it completely, as it really adds to the machine's character.  The 1/3 clutch is a Westinghouse and a nice one, but I will replace it with a servo. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you have been busy! ;-) That's a cool machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, this machine kicks ass. :) Even if I don't use it, it's cool decor. I believe the table is hard rock maple.

      I have one more machine to write up. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete