Pages

Monday, August 17, 2015

Kenmore 385.1764180

Here's a bit of a departure.

Walking around a thrift store today, I swore to myself I wouldn't buy anything I don't need.  I'm house-shopping and trying to off-load a bunch of stuff, not add to it.  However, I did spy a Kenmore electronic sewing machine from the 1980s in a tall Kenmore case that fits some of the convertible machines I own for which I don't have cases.

I'm always on the lookout for sewing machine carry cases.  They're often expensive, meaning I can easily pay $25 for an old plastic hard shell case (sometimes less, sometimes more).  I usually wait to find machines + cases for about $10 and get rid of the machine, as I planned to do with this Kenmore I found today.  The case is one of the tall ones that are a little more rare than the standard flat bed cases you see everywhere (except when you need one on the shelf of a thrift store).  My 158.1913 needs this very case so I was very happy to find this one.

I considered donating the machine right back to the store.  I'm glad I didn't.  This is a Janome-made Kenmore and is incredibly smooth and quiet.  The front of the machine is plastic; the back and arm (free arm, once you remove the plastic storage compartment in front of the feed dogs) is enameled aluminum, so it's a rather strong frame.  When plugging it in at the testing station in the store, it ran like a top.  It's fast and there is very, very little vibration.  When I say this thing is quiet, it's not much more than a purr -- a very pleasant sound.  I've only sewed cotton with it thus far (light and heavier) and it's got some power, too.  Speed, power, smoothness, quietness, and excellent stitch quality -- not much more you could ask from a thrift store machine.  It's in great shape, too:



This particular series of machines was available in various stitch configurations: I've seen 8, 10, 12, 20, 22, 24, 28, 30, 36, and I believe a 100 that was an early computerized model.  The design is simple and handsome, very straightforward, and easy to operate.  A four-step buttonhole function is built-in in addition to the simple, stretch, and decorative stitches.  I had another Janome that I really liked but it sat around without much use, so I sold it and bought two industrial machines.  This one is several steps down but sews like a champ; the hook/race design of the two machines are actually nearly identical.


I'm a fan of powerful vintage machines, preferably all-metal, preferably industrial.  However, there is so much to like about this basic machine that I'm really glad I have it and I plan to make use of it.  If you see one, consider this an enthusiastic recommendation, especially if the price is similar to what I paid: $9.99.

Correction: It appears these machines (with the orange stitch number on the face plate) were built in the early to mid-'90s, not the '80s.
     

14 comments:

  1. Huh. Wouldn't you know it? I have this identical machine sitting on the workbench out in the garage. The husband brought it home for me last year. He found it at the green boxes. We don't have trash pickup, so we have to haul all of our trash to the county site, affectionately known as the green boxes. He finds all sorts of interesting stuff there and when he saw this, he brought it home. I haven't started it up yet because I don't know how long it was sitting out in the weather. Also, it's missing the shuttle race. It reminds me very much of my 25-year-old White model 2222--same styling, although the controls are slightly different.

    If you need parts for yours, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have this exact machine? That odd! It's a nice one. I found that it sews as good a stitch as my Janome 6500, though the machine is a much humbler one (and a good deal older). If you can get it started (I hope it came with the pedal/cord), see if you like it; I'm very pleasantly surprised with it. And your price couldn't be beat. :)

      Delete
    2. Yep, same machine, no pedal, which is probably why it was at the green boxes. It's also terribly dirty. I will put it in the queue for cleaning. I'll have to see if I can get parts for it. But if you need parts, let me know. It could end its life as a donor machine.

      Delete
    3. That's very generous of you, thank you. One advantage of these plastic machines is that they clean very easily. They also scratch very easily, too. I hope you can get it running but if not, I'd be happy to take it off your hands but only if you decide not to invest time and effort into it.

      Delete
  2. I owned that one up to the last 10 years. I got a new Husqvarna #1+ and at some point gave the Kenmore to my daughter in law. I feel she got a good machine and has sewn some heavy stuff with it for her sons.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these are nice machines. They don't look like they'd be strong but they can dispatch heavier material with ease. Some of the higher stitch count models have a speed override switch and they take all sorts of generic feet and attachments. This is a good choice for all-around home sewing and they can be found very inexpensively.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. Nice post up, just bought one of these myself based on reviews about it being super quiet.

      Now all I need is to find a case, it would be a great machine to take to a job site.

      Delete
    3. The cases for these 385s are usually like the one pictured here: http://tightacres.blogspot.com/2015/09/kenmore-38517828490.html. Very lightweight, so your machine would remain lightweight as well. These machines are particularly good with wovens. Have fun with yours and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I have this exact machine I bought for myself after I started working at Sears in late 1988. I didn't buy the case so it must have been an option and being on a tight budget I guess I opted not to purchase it. I remember having payments taken out of my paychecks and using an employee discount. I also purchased the overlock 3/4D serger the same way. So happy to still have both. Cheers! ~M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know these Janome Kenmores are still sewing after all these years. They're really smooth, aren't they? Their lack of vibration is likely due to the cast aluminum frame rather than the all-plastic exteriors made today. Thanks for stopping by and enjoy your Kenmore machines!

      Delete
    2. After double checking I believe I bought mine early '90 or '91 like you mentioned in your correction. I quit Sears in Dec. 1991 so obviously before then. ;)

      Delete
  4. I found your blog while searching for specialized presser feet for my old Kenmore. Imagine my surprise when I saw that you bought the same machine I own! I inherited it from my grandma in the early 90s and it still sews like a champ. Though I also have a Janome Memory Craft, I think of this Kenmore as a "go to workhorse", especially if I'm sewing somewhere other than home. Thankfully, my grandma also bought the case! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jennifer. Yeah, these older Janome-made Kenmores are really good machines. Very smooth and quiet, rigid and vibration-free. I tested this machine on several layers of denim right when I got it home from the thrift store: perfect stitching. As you've written, these are excellent second (or third or fourth) machines that can be pressed into duty when a primary machine fails or when you need something portable yet strong. Enjoy it!

      Delete
  5. I just got one of these models at the dump swap shop (FREE!!!) It runs but the material does not move, so I will have to tinker with it and see if there is an adjustment I can make. I have and still use my Kenmore that I bought in 1982, which at the time seemed like a very basic machine, but I take care of it and it still runs pretty well (except for the bobbin winding mechanism.)

    ReplyDelete