Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Bernina 807 Minimatic

Now here's a cute little machine.

I like Berninas but I'm not too fond of the prices they fetch, so I only own machines that I can find at low prices.  I found this one on CL, drove up north to pick it up, and stopped by a Value Village where I found some patterns, a box of Kenmore accessories, and, yes, another Kenmore.  This Bernina is a slightly smaller machine, perhaps a 3/4 and has its own extension table, case, pedal/cord, and sewing table.





I haven't opened it up to take a look but I did open the lamp cover on the machine's nose and oiled all the usual suspects.  It runs and sews beautifully, especially for a machine that has been in storage for quite a while.  I didn't run it for very long, though, as I don't want to stress any parts that need lubrication.  All the dials and controls seem to work perfectly.


There is a total of 7 stitches including straight.  The top-most dial on the face controls width (outer) and needle position (inner).  The center lever controls length and reverse with a dial limiter.  The lower knob controls the feed dogs and the switch at the very bottom is a much-appreciated speed override switch: Max and Min settings.  This machine is pretty quick, so the slower speed is good for concentrating on one's project rather than feathering the pedal speed as well as everything going on with the needle.

Cosmetically, it's very good.  There are some very small paint dings and hairline scratches here and there and two slightly larger paint dings near the back of the free arm (probably caused by careless wielding of the bed extension).


As you can see, the motor housing, plate below the hand wheel, and the spool pin platform all suffer from UV suntan.  Were I more retentive than I already am, I'd take those pieces and apply hair salon peroxide cream to bring them back to the original off-white.  It's an easy process but since I probably won't keep this machine very long, I'll let the next owner have the honor.

I don't want to step on any toes as I mount my soapbox.  We collectors all have our preferences and I am not nearly enough of an expert at any of this to question the judgment of anyone.  However, I don't really understand the Singer Featherweight (221/222) fixation.  They seem like nice little machines but $300 - $500 (or $1000 for a 222) buys several excellent machines that may arguably be superior at what its devotees claim it does.  Here is a beautiful, lightweight, and extremely capable machine that offers multiple built-in patterns, plenty of power, and a sleek, modern design.  When even a small Bernina can be used as a comparison against such price inflation, I'm given pause to reflect on the conception of value.  I'm all about cheap machines and I understand that others may not be.  But if my blog pages illustrate at least one thing successfully -- I believe, it is that quantity and quality are far from exclusive.  I'm not a quilter.  In fact, I'm not much of a sewer at all, so take my words with all the salt you can carry.

What do you think?   

Me: shop around.  Great deals can be had.

   

6 comments:

  1. Here is my thought on the Featherweights: People don't buy them because they are the best machines for what they do. People buy them because they are something of a novelty. I love my FW and pieced several small quilt tops on it, but it really is a toy when compared to my Necchis. Do I love it anyway? Yes, I do. That Bernina is nice (and I know you won't sew boat covers on it like that guy in Spokane tried to do with one), but it just doesn't have the same aura about it that the FWs do. Sometimes it's not about features. Sometimes it's just about fun (for me, anyway).

    You are scoring some fabulous deals. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to put an absolute price on fun. FWs are cute and toy-like and I've never sewn on one, so my perspective is very limited. They have always struck me as a bit of a fad, something many collectors aspire to include in a basic collection. I've found them for under $100 and have passed, as I'm just not attracted to them but I drove to Wenatchee and back for a Bernina 117K: I have about 40 Kenmores that will sew as well or better but does that matter? Not at all.

      Oh, and I drove to Spokane and back for a machine known as 'Meister'. Interesting, no?

      Delete
    2. If you can't have fun, what is the point in living?

      I don't know that I would have shelled out the money for a FW--I have one because my husband was doing a job for some people who had one that they wanted to sell. He had done enough research to know that they were collectible and he's a thoughtful guy, so he said that if I wanted it, he would take part of his payment for the job in the form of the machine. It worked out to $400, and I have never spent that much on any other machine. I am kind of cheap. :) So there you go.

      Delete
    3. That was a very nice thing for your husband to do. Very cool. I think you're both very fortunate. :)

      There's the saying "He knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." That probably described me when I began collecting, as I would amortize $400 for a FW and compute how many Kenmores I could have purchased. I'm not quite that bad anymore, although I don't want to completely abandon my Practical Naivete while maintaining a touch of snobbery for when it's needed.

      Delete
  2. It's a business as far as I can tell. There are some guys in my country who focus largely or even solely on selling (and promoting) the Featherweights and have a vested interest in these inflated prices.

    And it's a business because the prices are hugely inflated. There is a lot of money to be earned. It's the same with an Iphone. Insanely expensive, but you're not buying it for its features, but for what it represents. It elevates your status. It's a must have, etc.

    The other part of the equation is ignorance. Not a lot of folks out there know that practically all surviving 1940's to 1970's sewing machines are perfect for domestic sewing once you give it a good heating and oiling. And you can widen that scope to pre-war machines if a handwheel is not an obstacle. And even unknown brand's or unloved brands of sewing machines from the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit it's odd that I'm criticizing Featherweight hype using Bernina as an example: pot, meet kettle! There's much money to be made from successful branding and much to be saved by simply focusing on what needs or wants to be done, sewing included. In a way I kind of enjoy the snobbery aspect of sewing but a line of beautiful stitches can be achieved by many, many different brands and models. And the inflated prices for most things (machines, service, parts) are partly responsible for the surge in home sewing machine repair and blogs such as mine. It's a very enjoyable hobby even if one doesn't really sew!

      Delete