Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Pfaff 229

I recently contacted a CL seller of a machine that uses a power cord/foot pedal I needed for another machine I purchased from GW w/out this necessary part (and has to have the appropriate connecting plug; I haven't tried to bypass the stock connection on a machine to accommodate a foreign cord/pedal -- yet).  After picking up this machine and pedal, I schlepped (Or did I traipse?  I probably gamboled) over to the nearest GW (a different store than the one I mentioned above) and found this for $7.99, after discount:






Sauntering through the furniture section, I spied the table and nudged it.  I instantly knew a heavy machine resided inside and I opened the lid.  I didn't even so much as lift the machine as I recognized the Pfaff paint and shape, I closed the lid, and hauled this baby through the store and to the cashier.  Condition doesn't matter much at this price.


Yes, folks -- this is the behavior of an addict.


It's missing the slide plate and came with no attachments save the zig-zag foot but it runs beautifully and can seriously haul -- this thing is incredibly fast.  The label on the motor has long fallen off (dried glue rather than attached with steel brads) and so I don't know the amperage but I will perform a test with my handy dandy Craftsman mechanical speed gauge and will update.

The thing about these vintage Pfaffs is that they were engineered and manufactured with such tight tolerances that unless they've been oiled and used regularly, they're often found completely seized and stiff.  Not this one.  Getting it home, I found the hand wheel was free and smooth and all the controls work perfectly.  I oiled it completely and it improved to the point that when running at full speed, I was worried I might damage it as it was sewing so quickly and powerfully.  Semi-industrial?  Heck, yes.

The interior cleated nylon belt is in perfect condition.  I just need the slide plate and a bobbin case and I'm good to go.  There are some hairline cracks in the stitch width knob but it seems solid with zero play from the pointer to the base and these small cracks don't extend from the screw hole.  I didn't even have to unstick the feed dog pin.  The lugged exterior belt indicates the machine was serviced within the last few decades; whoever owned this machine didn't use it much, as it's cosmetically excellent and runs so well -- whoever you are, thank you!

4 comments:

  1. There was one of these very machines, in a cabinet, at one of our local thrift stores a few weeks ago. If you lived closer to me, I would think you were the one who bought it, because I think it was only there for a grand total of 30 minutes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting a reputation. :)

      This is such a nice machine! I've been buying a bunch of plastic machines lately and while I like most of them, getting this one is such a reminder of why vintage is so superior. And who needs the Dial-a-Stitch? Seriously, the 230 can't even do an automatic blind hem, what with the little color wheel that you can spin and spin and the colors are so pretty and you feel like you're eating candy?

      Delete
  2. That is a lovely machine. I look forward to every post so I can see what treasure you have picked up. They will never be homeless with you around!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At these prices, I just drag them home and hope they work. I picked up a couple more this weekend and will be buying one this week and another this next weekend as well. I'm supposed to be decluttering but it's not going well.

      I almost snagged an industrial serger last week but the seller blew me off and sold to someone else. A blessing in disguise, probably. I'm still miffed, though.

      Delete