Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Janome 2212

I'm trying really hard not to be an impulse buyer. It's a lot easier to say 'Step away from the Craig's List' than to do it but I was in need of a fix -- literally. I recently purchased a Kenmore 385.15512000 without a power cord/foot pedal and I had no way to run the machine because the connecting plug (the male part that fits into the machine's receptacle) has a Janome-specific design and the only less expensive after-market versions I've been able to find are $25 (eBay) and NOT UL LISTED. (Bad!)

CL came through one more time and I have been blessed with yet another machine as gravy, this time a Janome 2212 which I've decided that I really, really like.  It's low-end but that doesn't mean it's cheap.  The seller listed the machine for $25, explaining that something is wrong with it and she'd rather not spend more money than it's worth having it fixed.  Reading through this rather logical ad, I contacted her stating that I might be able to fix it.  She wrote back offering the machine for free, saying that my time is worth something.  I thought that was extremely generous and nice.  What a lovely young woman (and incredibly hot, too).  Gorgeous women bearing gifts?  Watch out!

The machine was filthy but it had the cord/pedal I needed and after a very nice conversation, I left her office and promptly went to the local Goodwill and found yet another sewing machine.  Then I went shopping for food at the large Vietnamese supermarket next door and then the large Hispanic supermarket next to it.  Then I had to get home and get back to work!

Finally, I was able to clean it up late this afternoon and address the problem: huge dust/lint issues in the hook/race, extremely dry hook/race, and the take-up lever interacting with the width control arm causing a knocking.  I also oiled a non-Teflon joint and that made a huge difference.  This machine is fast!  Once I had it going full speed and at all stitch settings, I was impressed with its solidity and lack of vibration.  It wasn't moving on the table at all.

I also cleaned up the exterior and although there are some scrapes and dings I couldn't do anything about, I think the machine looks pretty good:




 
As you can see, this is very similar to the Kenmore I linked above.  I prefer the Kenmore version, as it's slightly heavier, the hand wheel has a more solid feel, the spool pins are metal rather than plastic-coated wire on the Janome, and the lamp cover is hinged rather than screwed on.  I much prefer the Kenmore's accessory storage, as the Janome's convertible bed just pulls off with no lid (a very odd design decision, in my opinion).  However, this 2212 is one nice machine and the price, well, the price couldn't be beat.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I would have bought it, too. I love my Janome. Good find! I haven't looked at CL in days. That's probably a good thing.

    ReplyDelete