Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Kenmore 385.15512000

I was knocking around a local Goodwill recently and found another Kenmore, one of the last models that will be offered by Sears.  If you've read my blog for a while, you know that I love Kenmore machines and lately I've become fond of the 385 models (whose mostly white, mostly plastic exteriors I have hitherto shunned).  These Janome-made machines are smooth and quiet and even the lower-end models don't scream cheap; all have a quality feel to them and the stitches they produce are excellent.

I didn't want to blog about this machine until I had a chance to run it and I bought it without a power cord/foot pedal.  This is usually not a good idea; using a store's testing station is crucial in determining whether a machine is worth my time.  But this Kenmore's exterior was in pretty good shape, considering it was sitting on a shelf next to some other items with nothing protecting its tight little white hiney.

Note to self: ALWAYS make sure the power cord/pedal are present unless you're willing to pay sometimes more than the price of the machine and/or unless the machine is underpriced even w/out these necessary parts.

This time, it wasn't a bad decision.  This is a great low-end model.  As it happens, I found the appropriate cord/pedal for free and I'm happy to report the machine runs like a champ, sews beautifully, the controls all work very well, and it's got some heft and some strength.  I've seen this model on CL multiple times, so they're either very popular or hated.  I'm guessing the former.  What a great little machine:





It came with some attachments including some presser feet (buttonhole foot -- hurrah!), lint brush, 2 screwdrivers (including a tiny one for the really small screws), seam ripper, etc.  They all store neatly in the front compartment whose lid pops down.

Cosmetically, it has some small scratches and a deeper one near the reverse lever but it looks good, particularly after a cleaning and scrubbing.  I even used some polish to shine up and reduce some of the hairline scratches in the plastic.  What do you think -- is it a nice looking little machine or what?  If you saw one of these on the shelf for $12.99 (and then an extra 20% off because it's discount day), would you sweep it off the shelf into your arms, hold it like a baby, and grab the nearest oil bottle for a quick feeding?  I did!

The list of available stitches is short, as is to be expected of a low-end machine.  It does do the left-homing straight and an integrated width control within standard zig-zag and related stretch stitches.  At least it's simple and lightweight (although it's not as light as some machines I've worked on) and would be an ideal machine to take to a class or sewing group.


If you see one of these (or a similar model -- there are several) and the price is low and the condition is high, consider this a 'BUY.'



No comments:

Post a Comment