Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Kenmore 385.17828490

I'm in the process of selling my condo in town and so am flexing my prodigious muscles, carrying furniture, cleaning, and doing a lot of driving around.  /sarc

To treat myself, I stopped by Goodwill in a Seattle neighborhood just to see what might be waiting for me.  I found this gem of a machine with just a few nicks in the plastic and the needle clamp/thread guide missing -- very easily replaced.  I didn't even have to clean it much more than a wipe down and scrub here and there (although in the pictures, I can see I missed a couple of spots; I'll try to do better next time). 





This particular model is a 28-stitch machine, sharing many similarities with one of its 24-stitch brethren I picked up very recently.  One difference is an indicator window for suggested settings and presser feet depending upon the stitches selected -- regular, decorative, stretch, or 4-step buttonhole.


I haven't researched this at all but I'm guessing this one is somewhat later, as the back panel is plastic rather than the enameled aluminum found on the 24 and the spool pin is transverse rather than the pull-up/push-down metal variety that I prefer.  Otherwise, the machines are very much the same, especially their smooth and quiet operation and quality feel.  Janome, you make a good machine. 

It's important to make sure these vintage machines include the power cord/pedal, as replacements can cost far more than the machines themselves.  This one has its pedal and even included a carry case (with the nifty Kenmore logo) and the original manual.



The whole shebang was $14.99 and unfortunately there was no discount.  I suppose I could have negotiated a bit due to the missing needle clamp but I'm a firm believer in not pushing one's luck, particularly my own.  Is there such a thing as Luck?  I doubt it.

4 comments:

  1. I bought one of these new from Sears I think it was 1997'ish, or a little later (1996-1998), 385.17828490 model. Nice machine. Mine is barely used, in a generic case, but has everything it came with still in the compartment (4 optional feet, fittings, etc). Amen on the foot pedal etc (currently misplaced). Once the pedal is re-found will be sewing up a drum throne cover, and some door coverings for an old VW. Your price paid was far better, and you got a better case, plus the machine, for less than I paid for my case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on your projects with this machine. I recently sewed on a very recently made sewing machine and this Kenmore puts it to shame. Although its plastic cladding doesn't promise much, these 385 Kenmores deliver.

      I've not looked very hard but I've not yet found the right needle clamp. Your comment has reminded me to do so. Thanks for stopping by and hope to see you again. Have a great time sewing!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why thanks. That's very nice of you to say. I hope you're finding the information useful. :)

    ReplyDelete