Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Studio 327 Knitting Machine and SRP-20 Ribbing Attachment

And I thought CL is dangerous.

Surfing YouTube recently, I came across a demonstration of a knitting machine. Now, I know absolutely nothing about knitting except that I like to wear knitted fabric, usually, depending upon the fibers. I even tried to knit once and it was a boring disaster -- the worst kind. In watching the knitting machine make perfect stitches in a matter of seconds as well as seeing lots of shiny metal and plastic, levers, buttons, dials, and the operator moving stitches around manually, I was hooked -- latch hooked. I had to have one and two days later, I had ordered two to be picked up locally.

From my tabula rasa, there seem to be two main advantages of machine knitting and they are conveniently similar to those posed by machine sewing: 1) speed; 2) precision. Now, I know there are those who probably think that knitting with a machine isn't really knitting. If machine sewing is acceptable, why not machine knitting? A novice like myself can achieve very good results by simply reading the manual and in glancing at the first few pages, these complex-looking contraptions aren't hard to understand. There are tensions, cams, stitch types, and other territory a sewing machine enthusiast will find very familiar. Now be honest: does a sewing machine with these not-so-modern conveniences imply you're not really sewing?

There are four basic types of knitting machines according to automation, primitive to advanced: 1) manual; 2) push-button; 3) punch card; 4) electronic/computerized. Each has advantages and disadvantages and my very ignorant perspective tells me that punch card machines are what I'm looking for: the most fun for the least amount of tedium, i.e. the most knitted fabric in the least time and for the least effort. A knitting machine should make the process of creating knit fabric as easy as possible while still allowing the knitter's imagination free reign (or nearly so). (If it doesn't offer speed, precision, and enjoyment, why buy one?) A computerized machine is tempting but vintage electronics, like all electronics, have a finite lifespan that once complete renders such a machine completely manual until fixed. Fixing/replacing costs enough to buy another machine. (Sound familiar, computerized sewing machine owners?) Thus, punch cards are the most technically advanced mass-market vintage machine that are still mechanical, require no electricity to operate, and are able to produce intricate patterns relatively quickly and efficiently.

Another consideration is that there are four basic types of knitting machines according to gauge, pertaining to the number of millimeters between needles: 1) fine; 2) standard; 3) medium or mid; 4) chunky or bulky. These broad categorizations overlap occasionally and the measurements (in millimeters) aren't set in stone but I chose standard as my starting point, as I think it will give me variety at lower cost.

For my nascent purposes, an inexpensive vintage Japanese machine is just what I'm looking for and I managed to find two such machines, one local and the other about two hours away. (Rather than have the bulky, heavy item shipped at great cost, I thought I'd enjoy the drive. I didn't enjoy the drive all that much but it was worth the trip.) Here is the first one I found, a Studio 327 with a SRP-20 ribber -- a 24-row punch card machine in standard gauge (4.5mm, in this case):










Not having read the manual, I'm not sure what all the controls do except that the thing with a handle is called the carriage and when drawn right and left across the needles, knitting is accomplished depending upon the positions of those needles (there are four positions).  The carriage has cams and the lever on the dial controls which type of stitch is selected.  There is a built-in knit radar, which indicates how many stitches you must change per row in order to knit a shaped piece, there is the card reader, and a row counter.  Included is a yarn tower that includes a tension assembly and guides.

The machine appears to be in pretty good shape for a vintage machine.  The yellow color indicates that the prior owner left it exposed to a sunny window, thus giving the machine a UV sun tan.  (It was originally a putty-colored off-white.)  The case has a few dings but appears to keep it protected and the whole contraption folds up neatly and easily.

Included is what is called a ribbing attachment or 'ribber', this a SRP-20.  Included with the ribber are a number of other attachments whose purposes are unknown to me at this time.  (Yarn weights, combs of various sizes, sponge bar guides, some strange wire thingies, etc.)  A copy of a manual of the 328 machine (very similar to the 327) is included.






Best of all, the original punch cards were included -- quite a few.  However, I don't yet know about the designs they make nor what all the attachments are for and overall, I don't think this is a complete 327 + ribber set up; There are transfer tools and a tappet missing and I'm not sure but I thought a lace carriage might have been in the mix, too.

Anyway, this is a fascinating bit of machinery and I'm curious about it and whether it lives up to expectations -- mine or otherwise.  What do you think about knitting machines?  (Janet, I'm especially interested in your take, as you're an expert knitter -- something I didn't know until recently.  If you happen to be reading this and you'd like to share your opinion, I'd love to read it!)

11 comments:

  1. My opinion is that you should have talked to me before you bought one--I have three of them and I would happily have given you one to try. :) I have the White/Studio/Brother (they were all very incestuous companies and the machines are virtually identical no matter how they are badged) in the fine gauge, mid gauge, and bulky gauge. Of all of them, I used the mid-gauge one the most often. To be honest, though, I didn't use them all that much. They did not accommodate the kind of knitting I liked to do. They do "eat yarn," though, and if you're looking to churn out miles of yardage for felting or make lots of basic sweaters, they are great for that. I also have the pattern reader for my machines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you -- you're very generous. :) I would probably like a mid and a bulky, just to experiment, although it's hard for me to say what I'd actually make. I've seen hand-knitted items that look as though they were made on a machine (my grandmother on my father's side was an expert in all the needle arts and could whip out a hand-knitted dress in a single day). However, most hand-knitted stuff looks too crafty and homespun for my taste; some people really like that look and of course being made with just a few hand-held needles or needle types makes it more personal.

      Of course part of the attraction (for me) is the machinery itself. These things are seriously cool. And I'll still have to learn to do *some* hand knitting in order to connect the pieces the machine makes. It'd be nice if a child (or I) could walk over to a knitting machine, push a button, and out pops an Aran.

      Delete
  2. You've never seen one of my hand-knitted sweaters. :)

    Machine knitting was way more popular when I got my machines back in the early 90s (and I had lots more disposable income--they were not cheap). There was (and probably still is) a distinct bias against machine-knitted items. I think the key is not to see machine and hand knitting as the same thing done different ways. They really are two different crafts. Machine knitting is good at some things that hand knitting isn't, and vice versa. I think that's why the sewing machine/knitting machine analogy has never really held up well.

    Kruh Knits used to be the big machine knitting supplier, but they went out of business some years ago, apparently. I am not sure where one gets extra needles and such now.

    You will probably enjoy figuring out the machine. I never had the patience to get the machine set up (much like warping a loom); it was always easier and more portable for me to just pick up me needles and start knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading your explanation, it makes perfect sense. And the speed differential likely narrows considerably due to the ease with which hand-knitting can be picked up/put down and carried.

      Silver Reed (same company that made Studio and Singer knitting machines) are still in business, so many new parts for older machines can be purchased. And there's always eBay for parts, as well. eBay actually has a pretty good selection of vintage machines, many of them looking as though they were purchased as a complete knitting set-up with ribber, different carriages and return mechanisms, attachments, special tables, etc. It's like an Easy Bake for adults.

      I bought an eBay lot of hand-knitting implements last year (we're talking a large lot of about 70 needles, row counters, etc. -- I mean a serious sh*tload) and I attempted with some cheap, vintage acrylic and a couple of books. I may try again after I see some of your examples. :)

      Delete
  3. Easy Bake for adults. That's funny. :-) I didn't think about eBay for parts. Of course, just like for sewing machines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see knitting machines at my local thrift store once in a while. I didn't know there were so many different types. Good information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thrift stores are where I found mine. I think it's one of those hobbies that are exciting at first ("Make a sweater in 3 hours!! Fun for the whole family!!") but for some, have a learning curve that is too steep to nurture an initial interest. Who knows -- that might describe me! And I think Janet's point about hand vs. machine knitting being different crafts is a very good one, as I think some who buy machines think they're doing the same thing but faster. I plead guilty to that.

      Delete
  5. looking for owner's manual for a Singer Model 327. Any one have, or know where I can find one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have the manual for the 327 but if you join one of the many online knitting machine groups online, they have Files sections of various manuals and I've seen many Studio manuals there (although I don't remember if the 327 manual was among them). Since many of these standard gauge machines are very similar, I would assume much of the information found in one standard Studio manual would apply to the 327.

      Good luck!

      Delete
  6. Hi Mouse! I'm very much interested on your opinion about the Studio 327. With my girlfriend we are about to buy our first knitting machine, and the 327 is between our possibilities. Did you learn to knit with this machine? Have you been using it? If so, please post!! Greetings from Argentina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diego! Thank you very much for commenting. I'm in the process of getting ready to move and so I must admit I haven't given these knitting machines much time or effort. I hope to eventually be knitting with this and a bulky gauge machine. I have read that the 327 is a very good standard punch card machine. Make sure you try to get the ribbing attachment as well.

      Are you familiar with Yahoo! Groups? There are knitting machine groups there that can give you more/better information about all kinds of knitting machines; Studio machines are very popular here (they sold very well back in the day) so information such as fixes, manuals, etc. is fairly easy to obtain. That would be my first suggestion, though there are perhaps knitting experts in Argentina that you could meet in-person.

      I hope you can find the machine that's perfect for you and most of all, have fun knitting! (It should be fun, right?) Thanks again and please stop by again. Good luck!

      Delete