Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Morse Fotomatic 4300

Here is the second machine I purchased while on a trip through some old lumber towns.


The Morse Fotomatic 4300 is a Japanese zig-zag made in the early 1960s by Toyota. I have other Fotomatics in the series: the 4100 and the 4400, one white and another blue/cream two-tone like this machine.

This one has seen almost no use and is near-mint. I love its exuberant, gaudy styling and smooth-action levers and buttons. Despite its looking complex, this is merely a simple zig-zag machine with a built-in buttonhole function. It's all-metal and heavy, with a strong, smooth motor.




I'm always amazed when  I see a machine that is dusty and dirty, but unused or nearly so.  This machine has no paint loss save one very small ding near the feed dog control; it is very shiny.  The pedal and original case were included, both also in excellent shape.  Quite a deal for $15.  I saw the case underneath a large pile of other items; the digging paid off.  A little oil and some adjusting and this thing is going to be running like new.


(The lamp in the first picture I found for $2.99.  I have a thing for mid-century lamps and I couldn't walk away without it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment