Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Singer 201-2 Number 4

Yesterday, I drove around nearly all day.  I enjoy driving, but not yesterday.

I visited some towns I haven't seen in decades and, not surprisingly, for good reason: in my part of the country, we have lumber towns -- one-industry mill towns that have seen their industry regulated out of competitiveness and/or the victims of changing economics.  These depressed, shabby burgs were at one time a series of feast-or-famine communities that provided some well-paying and many low-paying jobs (many of these lumber jobs are dangerous), a few supporting businesses and government services, usually a bad local school system, and seething social problems.  They now just have the supporting businesses that are barely hanging on, a few government services that are stretched (and many don't make a difference), bad schools, and seething social problems.  And the towns themselves make for a sad day of driving.  I saw the eventual hopelessness that a lack of foresight almost always produces: houses with grass growing from the gutters, what appear to be alcoholics roaming the streets, a great deal of peeling paint and broken pavement, broken and boarded windows, hand-painted 'For Sale' signs, and grinding poverty.  At least the marijuana trade appears to be booming, now that Washington State voters -- in their incredible wisdom -- made the industry legal with, it appears, no enforcement of any common sense regulations.  And what better communities for wealthier out-of-towners to set up shop than in towns used to drug and alcohol binges (spend it now because you won't have it tomorrow) and government assistance?  Le sigh.
I wish I had a lot of money -- a LOT.  I would like nothing better than to change the fortunes of a small town.
But it's not all terrible.  Towns like these sometimes provide incredible bargains on items of real value, items such as sewing machines.  I had won an auction for a knitting machine, a 1960s and '70s fad that is experiencing a bit of a resurgence.  The seller is a pawn shop that lists items on eBay.
I sometimes wonder about the circumstances under which an item becomes offered for sale.  Is it a family treasure, sold with great reluctance due to great financial hardship?  What kinds of things were lovingly made with it and how much pride did it give its owners, a thing of genuine purpose and value?  I decided long ago that if I worry about all those possibilities, I'll never acquire any used, vintage item that I like.  I agree with the idea that if a thing cannot be let go in a time of need, then that thing has become a master to its owner.  Yet in depressed towns like these, I feel like I'm a bit of a vulture, preying on a community that needs my money, a seller that would be able to get more than I'm paying were it not for geography, the immediacy of their situation, and some knowledge.
I bought 3 machines.  (I actually found about 20 but most were ready for the land fill.)  The most notable of these is a Singer 201-2 in good shape, in need of a thorough cleaning, wiring, and a pedal.  I found it in the pawn shop that sold me the knitting machine and it was sitting next to a 1990s plastic Brother.  The Singer was $10 and the Brother was $50.  Seeing the two machines and their prices, any lingering guilt was assuaged and I was on my way, Singer in my arms.




     
 I will be re-wiring and cleaning it up soon.  Stay tuned.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, for both the story and the machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a day of reflection. I saw folks whom the American economy left behind decades ago and our education system has failed such communities, as have the leaders in these towns who can't see past the next election cycle -- or the next round at the local bar. I have relatives in a similar town and the stories they tell are...amazing. I will say that in every little business I visited that day, I was treated extremely well. Such places make me feel totally inadequate.

      Delete