Pages

Friday, September 18, 2015

Pfaff 131

For most machine listings that strike my interest, my response is to think a minute (or two, but rarely), then contact the seller via e-mail, express that interest, and wait for a response.  There are other machines I approach somewhat differently: if the seller has left a phone number, get on that phone and make pick-up arrangements as soon as they can, cancel all other appointments, and get in the car.  This is one of the latter.

The Pfaff 131 is a very rare bird in these parts.  I see 130s all the time, 30s sometimes (there are TWO currently for sale in my area, unusually), and the smattering of later Pfaff machines, mostly from recent years.  The 131 is often described as the straight version of the 130 but there is one significant difference: the bobbin faces left, rather than forward.  This requires the user to lift the machine each time the bobbin needs changing and this (for myself) requires the machine to be in a table rather than a case, as is this one:





Another significant difference is that the 131 has a full rotary hook.  It can be considered the full rotary 30, I suppose. 

The seller is a really nice guy who didn't really know anything about it.  The machine was not terribly dirty other than the usual grime but I found leaves and seeds from cedar trees inside the case and on the machine.

Note: Unless your garage is heated and equipped with weather stripping around the doors, etc. and is preferably insulated, a garage is not a good place to store a sewing machine or any other similar piece of equipment.  The best place is inside a house, warm and dry.

I oiled it and it runs extremely well: this 131 is very smooth, fast, and strong.  It's similar enough to the 30 that a side-by-side comparison is probably in order where I'll compare SPM, control of length, etc.  Speaking of which, the length control on this machine is unusually accurate, as there lines between each numbered length setting indicating, say, 3.75 or 2.25.  The light is plastic but not the more typical rounded lamp style and I prefer this one.

Cosmetically, it has a few dings but it's in very good shape overall.  The craquelure in the paint and varnish is typical of certain machine of this age and this is minor compared to some of the Pfaffs and Necchis I've seen.  The left spool pin is bent probably beyond repair so I'll pry it out and replace it soon.  The motor is quiet, the hand wheel is very smooth and light (and stops instantly thanks to its small mass) and while the rheostat pedal is as expected, it works.  The nickel is all in great shape and even the bobbin winder tire is fairly new.  Someone took care of this machine along its journey.

So there it is, my very first 131.  Fast, smooth, and an excellent stitcher.  The seller said he got a bunch of responses after mine so I'm glad I was quick on this one; I know I'll not see another of these machines in a long, long time.



   

9 comments:

  1. Once again you slay me. I love the look of this machine. I sure would like to see you in full cry going after some of these beauties. Thanks again for all the learning you impart on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael! Haha -- I had to speed to the bank, then to his house and I confess I was swearing because I was about 10 mins. late, something unusual for me (especially when a machine is involved). I must have looked ridiculous.

      I'm glad you like my posts. I wish I knew all the technical minutiae, i.e. how/why the machines are engineered. It's hard to find specific information but if I do find it, I'll update my posts appropriately.

      Thanks for reading and your kind words!

      Delete
  2. I had no idea such a beast even existed. Huh. Nice eye candy. :)

    My Necchi BCJ arrived today. Details on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes it's pretty! I kept reading about it, seeing dark, fleeting snapshots -- kind of like a Snuffleupagus sewing machine.

      I will now go to your blog and see YOUR eye candy. :)

      Delete
  3. there is a 131 for sale for $25 on shopgoodwill.com I often buy older machines there. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that one. The 131 is a nice machine. Are you going to buy it?

      Delete
  4. Hello I found a Pfaff 131 in excellent condition too but does anyone know any more information on these machines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only machine I have ever owned is a Pfaff 131. It was my mother's, and she gave it to me when I got married at the age of 20. All of my clothes, me three children's clothes, ruffled curtains, EVERYTHING has been sewn on my Pfaff. I have had it in a portable case for years. I am wondering what year the 131 was made ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried the ISMACS site? Here is the url of a list of dates according to serial. Match the serial to the appropriate range of numbers and that should give you an idea of the allotment year. It's a great machine and will give you many more years of service, I'm sure!

      Delete