Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Kenmore 385.1695180

Excuse my Kenmore-gasm.

This is yet another of the Janome 385 Kenmores -- an earlier one from the 1980s.  The visual cues are here, from the slab front, to the stitch selection dial, the side knobs and hand wheel, the top thread guide, the presser bar lift lever that operates to the right rather than at the back, the thread tension integrated into the body of the machine, the power/light switch, etc.  Many of these elements will be tweaked and refined in the coming years but this Janome is easy to spot.







The seller is an older woman who appeared East Indian.  She was extremely nice on the phone and when I arrived to pick up the machine, her entire family was arranged in the living room, from a very old gentleman right down to the little children.  Their home was very humble but neat as a pin and everyone was quiet, exceedingly polite, and watched me with curiosity and respect.  It's possible they don't get many visitors and those that do drop by probably don't look like me.  I was humbled by how graciously they treated me and how quietly they regarded my presence in their home.  I smiled to all of them and thanked them, looking each one of them in the eye (there were probably 10 members of the family in the room).  The purchase of the sewing machine was an event of some importance, as the woman explained that she loved it but found sewing to be difficult and she wanted an easier machine; passing the machine to me seemed to be a kind of ceremony.  It was both odd and wonderful.  I will remember this transaction for many years.

If any politicians are reading this (unlikely, I know), can we please encourage more immigrants such as these fine folks?  I love these people and want them here!

The machine itself is in good shape.  Not perfect but nice.  The length control (top dial, inner ring) is very stiff and this could be what the seller was inferring by her explanation of struggling to operate the machine.  There is likely some old varnished oil causing it to be nearly impossible to turn -- nothing a couple of drops of kerosene can't handle.

Three Kenmores in two days and I may have another scheduled for the coming weekend.  My friend Janet has noticed that I'm sweeping up the Kenmores around here.  I plead guilty to that.  




 


2 comments:

  1. That was a very funny pun. :)

    What a great story. I think it's interesting how the universe figures out what we're looking for and finds ways to strew those machines across our paths. I am waiting for my sewing machine mojo to come back. It shouldn't be long, I don't think. And I am enjoying living vicariously through your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying my meandering. It's an odd hobby but it has taken me near and far and to places I've never been to meet many very nice people. Sewing machines bring the coolest people together and although many of these machines seem to blend together in my memory, the people remain in stark relief. I remember facial expressions and funny things about where they live, how nice they are, how strange they seemed to think I am.

      There are some great machines out there for you. I can't wait to see your next find.

      Delete