Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Kenmore 385.1584180

This morning I found a CL listing for a free sewing machine and I drew in a sharp breath as I stared at the picture.  There it was in all its UV-damaged glory: the Janome-made 385 16-stitch machine I'd been thinking about with such regret.

You see, I took a trip through some depressed lumber towns recently and in one of the several thrift stores I entered, I found several sewing machines mostly in terrible states of repair.  I found this very same model and cringed, as many of its parts had been stripped by 'customers': no spool pins, no bobbin winder post, no winder stop post, no slide plate, etc.  It was dinged and scratched, yellowed and scraped.  No, I can't save them all but I'm very into these Janome/Kenmore 385s right now and I've regretted not simply putting it under my arm and walking to the cashier.

Well, this universe works things out for us and here is the same model, in much, much better condition:





I've yet to oil and run it but moving the hand wheel is extremely smooth and the machine feels as solid as its 24-stitch relative.  I really love these Janome 385 Kenmores and can't wait to get this one in tip-top shape as well as find the next one for the collection.  But I may have to sell a couple of other machines.  What a tragedy.





2 comments:

  1. The universe knows what you need. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does indeed! I hope the universe knows that I need a lot of glass and wood for that future sewing machine wall.

      It's strange how this very model appeared, the one I've been thinking about. These were made in all the even-numbered stitch configurations (8, 10, 12, 14, 16 ... 36) and the same one I considered driving all the way back there (yes, for a broken, stripped sewing machine) is the one that appeared. Perhaps it's not so much my going out and finding them but waiting for them to find me.

      Delete