Pages

Friday, October 16, 2015

Pfaff 130 No. 3

You may have noticed that my sewing machine acquisition has slowed in recent weeks.  You are very observant because this is not only true, it is desperately needed.

That doesn't mean I've stopped looking and when I sense a seller's desperation, I can't help but notice.  Prices in this case are usually pretty low and I can often get these machines for very little with no negotiation.  "Just take it away!" is the common refrain.

The present machine is a model I already own.  Actually, I own two, both in beautiful condition.  The last thing I need is another but for $30 coupled with a threat of a trip to the dump, I'm on the case -- or cabinet.  The Pfaff 130 is truly a classic, one I see everywhere for sale.  It's wildly popular because it's heavy-duty and stitches smoothly and quietly and perfectly.  Though not without flaws (two nylon gears inside -- I understand why they did this from an engineering standpoint but nonetheless, it's a flaw in the long run -- and a nylon cleated belt, a part that must be cannibalized from another 130 or a similar belt must be constructed from one of the Singer Swing Needle series machines, as I don't think modern replicas are good at all from what I've read), this venerable machine is one every serious collector should consider at some point, particularly since he/she will likely see one for sale at least a few times in their collecting career.

Though my other 130s are fully operational (and then some), this one needs a complete re-wiring and that is likely why it sat for so many years unused.  Fortunately, it was in a cabinet and was protected.  Cosmetically, this is one of the better ones I've seen.  Not minty fresh but darn close.




 

The width knob is frozen but that's an easy fix (kerosene, heat gun, gentle but strong screwdriver).  Once this is in tip-top shape, I'll have to decide which 130 to keep and which ones will be sold to loving homes.

The seller is the daughter of the woman who owned this machine.  This German immigrant sewed on this machine for decades but once the wiring began disintegrating and the machine wasn't operable, a main interest for her was no longer available to her.  Her family bought her a cheap 1970s Singer but she wouldn't use it.  She's now in a nursing home with 24-hour care and her family is awaiting her death.  I hope to treat her machine as lovingly as she did.



7 comments:

  1. Wow, what a gorgeous cabinet. I have been looking for one (or more) of those kinds for my Necchis, but the ones I've located are all grungy and beat up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No love for the machine? *sniff*

      Are you looking for this chair inset type? I sometimes see these for sale around here. Want me to be on the lookout for you?

      Delete
    2. Oh, you know how I feel about those Germans. :)

      I"d love it if you kept an eye out for one of those cabinet styles for me. I just don't see them very much around here. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful machine and cabinet. I know that terrible feeling too, of seeing a wonderful machine being given a death sentence. But then it gets a pardon and follows me home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard for me to understand why someone would look at a beautiful object like this and think "That's going to the dump." ?? Don't such people see aesthetic value? Anyway, I suppose I could have offered to take it for free but I knew someone else would offer money so I paid the very low price.

      Delete
  3. That little machine is adorable. So shiny & black. Love the cabinet too. I have never used a Pfaff. Please don't get me fixated on them!!!! I was wondering why I haven't seen any machine posts recently.
    I do look forward to every one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother would say to you "Don't encourage him." :D Seriously, I have way too many machines. I'm going to be moving in the next year or so, so I have to start dialing it down. There will be the occasional purchase though and I hope to change my blog a bit so that it's more standard rather than just a collection of stuff. Thanks for the feedback!

      I think that if you sew on a vintage Pfaff in excellent condition, you'll be smitten. They are really, really fine machines, especially the industrials. The biases/tolerances are so small that they achieve a smoothness that looser machines cannot match.

      Delete