Pages

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Anker RZ Matic

I've decided that eBay is a venue that is by and large too expensive for sewing machine purchases.  Shipping charges put many machines beyond my casual (and increasingly rational) addiction and shipping damage is always a concern.  Yet, my tastes have changed.  I acquire the low-priced common machines -- Kenmores, etc. -- mostly via CL and once in a long, long while will purchase a hard-to-find model from eBay if one is available at a price (+ shipping) that's not unreasonable.

Sometimes I even buy a fixer.

Case in point: the Anker RZ Matic zig-zag.  I've been lusting for one of these for a while, having purchased an earlier Free-Westinghouse version.  I've seen them in better shape but with price tags far above my self-imposed limit.  So, when I saw the ad for this one (with 14 watchers), I figured I should probably pounce even though it's missing a slide plate, power cord/pedal, and most of a front decal.  Other than these hopefully surmountable flaws (I see a cord/pedal combination for sale on eBay for more than I paid for this machine -- not going to happen) and despite a few small paint dings, it's actually in pretty decent shape.  A standard Class 15 bobbin was included in its oh-so-common case and the hand wheel moves smoothly, quietly, and as heavily as a high-powered, over-engineered German machine should.

The machine has some very interesting features.  The dual tension assembly is punctuated by the dual retractable pins and the forward-facing hook/race means double-needle sewing is de rigeur.  Decorative stitching?  You bet, all with a Wonder Wheel-like assembly powered by a third pulley off the hand wheel (first the interior motor, second the bobbin winder) and its own thread path with guides shared by a nifty bobbin winding assembly with automatic or manual stop-mechanism (see the small black Bakelite lever below the hand wheel).  The top is reminiscent of a car hood, opening to a hinge that holds the open position until squeezed inward, releasing to the closed position.  The stitch limiters around the width control are a beautifully designed pair of levers with numbered plates extending from the main knob, one each for both directions of the needle bar.  This really is superior to the more typical thumb screws (and likely more expensive to manufacture and install).  The setting release latch in the width lever doubles as a thread guide(!).  Very cool.  The length knob has a more standard cylindrical captive screw.






As a side note, I love the color: a deep sea green with dark green painted logo.  The contrast with the nickel and black is stunning.  Everyone should have at least one green sewing machine, don't you think? 

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it despite not knowing how it runs.  I have a Phoenix with a similar male connector and I will attempt a hook-up later today when I've some more time.  I will append this post as soon as I have more information and have done a bit more cleaning.

I've also acquired a few more cheap paintings and will post a little gallery tour as well.

I hope you're all doing well.

 




7 comments:

  1. Okay, this makes my heart go pitter patter just a little bit even though it's German and not Italian. :) Definitely a good purchase, but I know what you mean about eBay. Holy cow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sense the beginnings of a conversion -- perhaps even an epiphany. The web is a beautiful thing. :)

      Yes, eBay is just not a viable option for most vintage machines and sellers often charge far more than necessary just to pad their price tag. (And eBay is sticking it to sellers with all their fees INCLUDING charging a percentage of shipping. So, it's either the tip or the shaft, said the prostitute.) It's an outrage.

      Delete
    2. Believe me, I am well acquainted with German engineering. I have been living with it for the past 25+ years. No conversion here. I want those sports cars. :)

      I think the Goodwill site may be headed in the same direction. Bargains are harder and harder to find.

      Delete
    3. Sports cars, hmm? You need a Vigorelli. Better yet, a Borletti. I've got some shopping to do. :D

      Shipping has been re-calculated lead by UPS, thus Goodwill shipping is now astronomical. Only when I order from the sites in Washington or Hillsboro, Oregon are the prices still close to what they were. I live fairly near a gigantic Goodwill (the Seattle store, about the size of a large Wal-Mart) so I can get fixes. Heck, I walk in and get high on Fabreze.

      I found a very nice machine in Santa Cruz. Such a nice drive this time of year.

      Delete
    4. Those Italian sellers on eBay will ship to the US. How helpful of them.

      Delete
    5. I try. :D The Vigo Robot is an outstanding machine, just FYI. Y'know, just a little helpful hint from a friend.

      OK, I have seriously considered ordering a Necchi BV in a cast iron Necchi table from the Naples area. Not Naples, FL -- Naples, Italy. It would cost thousands but it's only money, right? The machine was only about $50 after exchange. No, I'm not kidding. I have logged onto the eBay.it site and come very close to ordering a BV industrial straight, table included, from Italy. You're partially to blame, too.

      Delete
    6. I have a feeling that one of us is going to do this exact thing one of these days. It's just going to be a matter of which one falls first.

      Delete