Pages

Monday, November 2, 2015

Kenmore 385.16622

While purchasing another Kenmore sewing/embroidery combination machine recently (just a few days ago), the seller offered a nearly new Kenmore 2/3/4 overlock with differential feed for an additional $100.  I only own about 7 sergers and so I agreed to unburden her further.  There should be a saint of sewing machine buyers.

This machine is basic, similar to the Brother 1034D except this is a beehive rather than a lay-in.  It does the usual including flatlocking and rolled hems and is identical to the Janome Juno, a model that was reincarnated as the Magnolia, intended to accompany the Janome sewing machine of the same model name and the same pretty (and pretty expensive) flowers painted on its bright white housing (the 8077 is mechanically the same and costs around $50 less).

At any rate, the seller mentioned she had lost the 'presser foot' and I thought that was fine, so I hauled it home without further thought.  (Surely one of the many serger presser feet I already have will likely fit.)  What she meant is the foot pedal.  *Sigh*  I tested the machine with a Kenmore/Janome pedal I already owned so I know the serger runs and runs very well.  I say owned because Halloween night, a frantic sewing machine buyer who had responded to a prior ad of mine contacted me, saying his sewing machine died while he was making his kids' costumes.  I quickly wiped down this machine and met him at a local 7-Eleven parking lot, rainy and windy, shrouded in mystery.  Where is that application for sainthood, anyway?

The serger has one visible flaw: a spot where something hot melted a small crater into the hinged door.  No biggie; I'd rather have the foot pedal, as they're another $25 but that's life.




I've cleaned up the outside with mild soap and warm water and a bit of Maas on a few very small nicks.  The inside is pretty dirty, as you can see but it's dust, not lint and fabric scraps; she's right, it's basically a brand new machine.  If the machine works its way into the machine rotation, I can see this one being a dedicated 3-thread machine or a 4-thread rolled hem machine, negating the necessity of resetting machines for different stitches. 


6 comments:

  1. When you figure out who that saint is, let me know. I would like to set up a shrine to him or her. I like the idea of multiple sergers to avoid rethreading. WHAT AM I SAYING??????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Just buy another" is always an option. :D I figure it gets really bad when I start buying another machine to avoid changing thread colors.

      Delete
    2. Forgive me, patron saint of sewing machines, whoever you are....I bought a Singer 306 today.

      Delete
    3. Blessed are they that trod the narrow, rocky path for theirs is the Piece-able Kingdom.

      I love the 306K. (I assume it's the model K.) I love all the Swing Needle machines but especially the 306 and 319/320. You will just love how it stitches. It's a bit slow (.53 amp on most -- I'm guessing yours as well) but the motor can be replaced with a 1.0 amp, which the machine is more than capable of handling.

      It has quirks. No sliding plate, so you have to reach under or lift and it's left-facing, so no double needle sewing that I'm aware of. The lower shaft is powered by the same cleated nylon belt as found in contemporary Pfaffs (30, 130, 131, etc.) so the action is very smooth, yet the Swing machines aren't known to be very quiet. (I actually like the sound.)

      The biggest issue is the needle, the dreaded 206/13: more expensive than the 15x1 class and now only available in two sizes (11 and 14, I believe -- not certain). HOWEVER (and this is a big however), the bobbin case can be modified (ground to allow for a longer needle) to accept standard 15x1. Many owners of Swing machines have re-timed them in order to accept the longer size but this does not work (it requires re-timing the dogs and everything else and the entire machine is messed up as a result). Thus, one thing to check is for nicks in the bobbin case (attempts to use standard needles in a non-standard needle trough) and evidence of timing issues such as a strange relationship between the height of the dogs and the needle bar.

      I've never attempted to grind a 206 bobbin case because I don't have such equipment and original cases are becoming hard to find; apparently the knockoffs aren't very good.

      You just bought a wonderful machine. I love the way they sew, the way they sound, the way they look. They have an odd relationship with Pfaff machines so this may be one way to get you sewing on Pfaffs. (The story has to do with sewing machine engineering plans being discovered after the Dresden bombing and Singer copying some of the details.)

      I expect a full report and some incense post-haste! :D

      Delete
    4. It is a 306W. How strange that I bought a bag of Singer flat cams at the antique store on Saturday without knowing what machine they belonged to. I suspect they may fit this one. The universe thinks it is very funny. Right now the machine is still in the back of my station wagon. I have to do some rearranging before I bring it in and check it out. I will report back, but first I think I have to go find my rosary.

      Delete
    5. Ah, I think you have the one made in Germany. Both of mine are the K versions but I believe the machines are otherwise identical. There is also an Italian version, the M (Monza). I don't have a set of cams for my 306 or 319 machines (same cams for both models) so I'm interested to read what you think of the external following arm. It reminds me a bit of the Durkopp setup (and the 206 was the first zig-zag Singer made for the domestic market, so I suspect there's a story there).

      I'm guessing the cams were crumbs on the path, leading you to this great machine. ;)

      Delete