Pages

Friday, November 6, 2015

Pfaff 145 H-3

There are certain sewing tasks that can only be accomplished via certain really heavy machinery.  I've never been faced with those tasks but I'd like to be prepared just in case.  (Remember Y2K?)  To that end, I've decided that I need a hybrid compound feed machine, specifically a walking foot/needle feed for sewing heavy materials such as upholstery, vegetable tanned leather, Cordura, multiple layers of webbing, applying welting or heavy binding, etc.  You just never know when you'll need to make a briefcase.  Or a sofa.

So, I found a very inexpensive solution: a Pfaff 145 H-3.  Worn in but not worn out, it's in good mechanical condition and fair cosmetic condition.  It sure ain't pretty but it is incredibly smooth, weighs a ton, and came in an old commercial stand with steel legs, a solid wood top (maple, I believe), and an old Singer clutch.  It's a good start, albeit I'll probably buy a newer 1245 at some point.  (Pfaff has been producing this series of machines for decades including the 145, 545, 1245, 1445.  The 145 has a somewhat smaller bobbin than succeeding models, to note one difference.) 

One of the great things about industrials is that they hold usually hold their value.  This is why so many buy Pfaffs and Adlers, as they can be sold for the same price paid or more if well maintained.  This 145 was regularly serviced in Renton and has at least one newer part that I can see.  The oil ports are clean although the motor is pretty filthy with dark greasy lint.  Once I repaint the table legs and refinish the table top, once I repaint the bed and wheel and apply a reproduction decal, this thing will shine.





$250 is more than I usually spend on a domestic but for an industrial, this is a very good price.  I've seen these in worse shape for far more so I'm happy with the purchase.  This is yet another machine that I will box up and ready for the big move, then set up once I'm in the new house (that remains just a dream at this point).   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment